Chapter 30

Lily's heart was like a rock in her chest as they made their way across the opposite side of the ever-darkening isle.

Behind them, the last of the light in the transparent trees had gone out and the night sky was settling over them like a smothering drape. Kurik surely would have seen them in its midst if the multicolored trees had remained lit.

She couldn't believe how far they'd traveled for nothing.

Ian had nearly died in his struggle against the Jubaka, and now all that effort was completely to Kurik's aide: they'd left the dead Jubaka waiting for him like a pig on a platter.

They swam across the swamp to the other side, which unlike the direction they'd come was only a short distance, and climbed out of the muck onto the solid ground of the forest floor.

When the swamp was well out of sight, Varkis spoke for the first time: "Where to now?"

Lily could only make out contours and the whites of eyes. It was a moonless night due to the clouds, and they would soon be unable to see.

"We need to find the others," Ian said. "Who knows what Alvernian creatures are on the loose by now."

"But how will we find them?" she asked, standing stiffly, bone-chilled in her soaked clothing. She shivered. "Everything will be completely black in few minutes."

"I have pretty decent night vision," Varkis spoke decidedly. "Ian as well."

"How's that possible?" Mike's voice was low and hollow, and if Lily wasn't mistaken, deeply afraid. "Ian is human, isn't he?"

"Mike—you saw me in the vat room." There was a hint of irritation in Ian's voice, but something else as well. Embarrassment?

"Right! That ghastly face. Can you change your features completely?"

A pause.

"Yes . . . but I choose not to."

A mournful howl sounded somewhere far off—echoing in the distance. Lily grabbed for Ian's muddy hand. He held hers tightly.

"Let's keep silent," he spoke in hushed tones to the group. "Varkis will lead the way."

They moved through the forest, occasionally taking cover whenever the Anubis caught scent of something dangerous. But the time was mostly spent with Ian and Varkis helping Lily and Mike over fallen logs like helpless children, and maneuvering them around branches, boulders, shrubs, and roots.

After a half hour of this, Varkis grabbed her shoulders without warning and pushed her down.

Twigs scraped her arms as she hit the ground. She stifled a cry. In the next second, Mike winced also as Varkis shoved him to the ground next to her with more force than necessary.

She didn't dare speak.

Ian crouched in front of them on one knee and Varkis stood with legs spread and shoulders girdled. The darkness was closed around them like a sepulcher. All she could hear was her own shallow breathing. She tried not to tremble from the cold.

A pair of glowing red orbs pierced the blackness in the distance and a chill shot down her spine.

She nearly jumped from her skin when Varkis spoke aloud: "You sure gave us a fright. Glad to see you are well."

Ian lifted her to her feet and relief coursed through her body. "Who is it?" she whispered.

"Callamous."