Chapter 38

Lily could see nothing but darkness all around her—yet it wasn't the darkness of being blind or unconscious—it was more like being in a windowless room with all the lights shut off.

Though come to think of it, she couldn't feel her body even remotely. She was neither hot nor cold. Just . . . there.

And she sensed a presence in the room with her, too, in the darkness. But good or bad, she couldn't say.

Where am I?

Lily had only thought the words, but an angelic feminine voice responded from nearby: "The in-between."

I don't understand.

"You are neither dead nor alive, just in-between."

How is that possible?

"Morack defeated you and now you are faced with the most important decision of your life."

What is it?

"To live or to die."

I'd like to liv—

"Stop. You must think this over very carefully. Your whole life has been a test. All the past guardians of Alvernia have been keeping an eye on you from our place of rest. We have been waiting to see if you are worthy of our power. Today you have finally proven that you are. You fought valiantly against Morack even though you knew you had no chance. And now, you are ready to receive our gift. That is, if you want it."

Is there any reason why I wouldn't?

"The life of a guardian can be long and hard. You will be in control of an entire planet, responsible for keeping the peace and rebuilding it from the ground up after the destruction of Morack's reign. It is in shambles—war-torn. You will have to prevent others like him from rising up. It is no easy task and once you've chosen it, you can not go back on your word. You will not be immortal, however; but you will outlive many."

Was my mother given this choice?

"No. She died before she was ready. She had no knowledge of Alvernia and she had not shown the will or stamina needed for so much power. It was not her calling. Since she had an heir and we knew the line would not die out with her, we allowed her to pass straight on to the next life at her death. We have watched you ever since."

If I choose not to live, what will happen?

"I will take you with me to rest with the other guardians in a place of unimaginable beauty and peace, where you will never suffer again."

But what will happen to Earth and to Alvernia?

"They will fall under Morack's supreme reign. His insatiable hunger for blood and power will be his eventual undoing, but not until both worlds are utterly barren and he is the only living creature left. Unlike you, he is immortal, but with one vital exception: He can be killed by a guardian—permanently. No one else, no matter how powerful, can ever do so."

If I . . . decide to live . . . how can I ever defeat Morack? I already made a pathetic attempt and was nothing but a fly to him. And even if you gave me powers now, I have no training in how to use them.

"You will not need training. With the gift of powers comes all the wisdom and memories of the past guardians. . . . "

A pause.

"And there is one more thing, child."

Yes?

"Do you realize what will happened if you kill Ian's father?"