Chapter 31

Kurik stood next to the first empty gargoyle pedestal at the edge of the forest, his face masked by the hood of his duster cloak. Like the Grim Reaper.

He gripped something in his gloved hand at his side.

A large rock.

"Father always liked you better," he snarled. "No matter what I did he was quick to remind me that you, five years my younger, were more powerful." With a cry of fury, he whipped the rock at Ian with incredible strength.

Ian dove to the ground, rolling, as the earth where he'd stood exploded with the impact of the rock, leaving behind a muddy crater.

"You don't have to do this," he said, scrambling back to his feet. "We can fight our father together—we can destroy him."

"And then die with him? No thanks."

Kurik snatched a dagger from beneath his cloak and threw it at Ian within the same second.

Ian dove to the right as the dagger grazed his shoulder. He leaped to his feet and charged toward Kurik, intending to plow him down, but Kurik turned and planted his elbow squarely in Ian's stomach, thrusting him over his shoulder. Ian somersaulted in the air and landed on his back with a loud crack.

He struggled to catch his breath as Kurik ran to a nearby tree and tore a thick branch from the trunk with supernatural strength. Ian winced and clutched his chest. His ribs were cracked again.

Kurik approached slowly this time, his face hidden in the shadow of his hood. With both hands, he lifted the branch high above his head, ready to strike.

Clenching his teeth against the pain, Ian rolled to the side as the branch hit the earth and splintered in half.

"Wait—" he said, jumping up. "Let's end this madness. I don't want to kill you."

Kurik roared with laughter, eyes glinting through the shadows. "You think you're going to kill me?" A slight pause. "Well, you'll have to catch me first . . . " He turned on his heel and darted into the forest, out of sight.

"This isn't a game—" Ian shouted after him; without following.

He stood in the sudden silence, waiting, muscles taut. There was no way he would follow Kurik into the trees. He took a deep breath and winced. Come on ribs, hurry it up.

Sweat beaded his brow and his spine prickled. He dare not let his guard down for a second.

A rush at his side, like a gust of wind, and Kurik raced out from the trees, pelting two large stones at him.

Ian dove to the side but one rock made impact with his thigh, cracking the femur. He cried out and fell to ground.

Kurik had vanished again.

He was like a cat, circling the injured mouse, batting at it with his claws; drawing out the kill to add to his pleasure.

Ian pulled himself up, favoring his good leg. "Stop hiding," he growled. "Show yourself and fight me like a man."

Silence answered him and he struggled to focus, blinking, head swimming. He ran the back of his hand over his forehead and took several panting gulps of air. His ribs were healed but his thigh was burning like fire.

A rustle at his right side and a fist came at his face.

With a jerk, he managed to sidestep the blow, and chopped Kurik on the back of his neck.

Kurik staggered a few feet away, gripping his neck. "You'll pay for that," he hissed, charging afresh.

Ian braced himself, unable to run on his wounded leg, and tried to dodge the blows with dips and dives. Outright blocking them wasn't an option, unless he wanted shattered forearms.