Camp

"Ava, could you help Alex get ready please?" My mother cracked the door and stuck her head in.

I tossed my camera into my duffle bag and nodded.

"Yeah, I'll be right there."

"Make sure he packs his retainer." She said, leaving my door open.

I sighed and shouldered my bag, carrying it in to the front door, where my mom had piled Alex's things. She had already packed most of it for him even though he was old enough to pack for himself. I pulled on my shoes and tied them, stopping to pet our dog, Armstrong. Alex had named him that, the kid was a space freak. I thought it was pretty, but he knew everything about it.

"Alex." I knocked on his door.

"You can come in." I could hear him clicking his Rubix cube.

I walked into the darkness. I sighed and walked past him, ruffling his red hair before pulling back the curtains. He didn't seem to notice, since he was so focused on the computer screen in front of him. The wall was lined with other screens, showing rockets and satellites and NASA tests. I stood behind him, clapping my hands on his shoulders.

"Ava, NASA's testing new boosters using solid rocket fuel. Those things can incinerate anything." He looked up at me.

"Bud, are you sure you wanna go to camp dressed like that?" I pointed.

He was in a suit, wearing his glasses, and had red socks with sneakers on. He looked like a tiny version of an old man. He only nodded. I sighed.

"Where's your retainer?"

He turned back to the screen. "Nightstand."

I grabbed the blue case off the furniture and threw it into his green bag. I rummaged through it to see bug spray and sunscreen.

"Anything else we're forgetting?"

I didn't get an answer, and I turned around to see him focused, head tilted as he read through an article.

"Alex. You ready, bud?" I picked up his bag.

"Just a few more minutes." He spun in his chair, shoulders slouching.

"Sweetie, you don't need any more time in that chair." Our mom walked in. "Ava, could you go load the car up?"

I nodded and walked out as Alex explained that his chair was ergonomic, and his spine was aligned perfectly. I grabbed the car keys and opened the front door. Armstrong shot up and ran to snatch his leash from the living room table. He followed me out into the driveway excitedly. I laughed as I opened the trunk and he came to me, pawing at the car. I tossed Alex's bag in and bent over to scratch Armstrong behind the ears.

"I'm gonna miss you, buddy. I wish you could come with us to camp."

He seemed to understand me, because he let out a bark and wagged his tail. He followed me as I made two more trips, stowing away Alex's two other bags and my single one.

"Come on, time to go." Alex and our mother came through the door with another bag.

"Mom, can Armstrong ride with us to camp?" I asked, shutting the trunk door.

"No." She scoffed at me, snatching the car keys.

"Mom, please?" Alex piped up beside me.

She turned and sighed. "Fine."

She got in the car and Alex shrugged at me before getting in on the passenger side. I rolled my eyes and grabbed Armstrong by the collar, leading him to sit behind my mother. At least camp would get me away from her.