A Bitch Fight and a Dance Invite

"That was the same alien from camp. I thought we killed that thing." Dariush wheezed as we made our way up the hill, hidden away by the trees.

"If it came down with the capsule, that means it survived the heat of atmospheric re-entry. Which means it must have tremendous cellular regeneration abilities." Alex thought out loud.

Gabriel squeezed my hand and shot me a look, and Dariush turned to stare at Alex.

"English, Alex, please." ZhenZhen stressed.

"It's like Wolverine." I explained, wrapping an arm around myself.

I had gotten colder during the night, and once Gabriel had dried off, he practically forced me to take the denim jacket. I was glad to wear it; it was oversized and comfortable and it smelled kind of weird, but also a little bit like him.

"Why the hell's it following us?" Gabriel's voice kept cracking, and it was by far the most endearing thing.

"It's pissed about its dog. You ever watch Marley and Me or Beethoven? It's a primal bond. It's out for revenge. Ask John Wick. Ava, if something killed your dog right now, how would you respond?" Dariush turned to me.

I only shrugged. "I'd be pretty pissed off."

"You're putting human motives on an alien lifeform. No, it probably just had orders to kill Collins and everyone she came in contact with. We're just loose ends to this thing." Alex shrugged.

ZhenZhen stopped walking in a clearing, and Gabriel and I followed suit.

"Nah, dog theory was better." Dariush scoffed him off.

"Who gives a frog's fat ass why? This ain't Comic-Con, bitches!" ZhenZhen groaned.

Gabriel looked down at me, eyes wide. Alex seemed personally offended, with Armstrong stopped by his side, head cocked. Dariush let his shoulders slump.

"All that matters is that it wants us dead. And we can't kill it." She gestured.

"She's right. We have to keep moving." I knelt by Armstrong, taking his paw in my hand.

We had washed it out and covered it in different cloths, and it seemed to be bleeding less. He was doing better, but he still began to limp if we went too fast or on for too long.

"We're only about twelve miles. We've made it this far. We can make it to the end." Alex nodded.

"I am done with you two and your ideas!" Dariush burst out, gesturing wildly. "Alex, you were the one who thought to let Hannibal Lecter out of his cell! Consider your leadership privileges... revoked!"

"Sometimes you do the right thing and it doesn't work out. That doesn't mean it wasn't worth doing." Alex stared.

I felt goosebumps rise on my skin and I took my hand back from Gabriel, hugging myself with both arms as my eyes burned and I looked to Alex.

Screaming. Burning. My father falling to the ground in front of me. Armstrong howling. The sirens outside. I could remember it all.

Dariush looked to the sky, eyes narrow. "Who the hell told you that?"

"Our dad." I hissed, coming to Alex's side.

"Never knew what it meant until right now." Alex looked down at the floor, his shoulders dropping as he let out a breath.

Gabriel caught my eye, eyebrows furrowed in concern. So far, he was the only one who knew anything about what happened. His gaze was apologetic.

"Look, why is it up to us to save humanity?" Dariush complained.