Truths and Dares

"We did it!" Alex shouted, and it was beginning to sound like the theme song of Dora the Explorer.

I sighed, falling back against Gabriel, who only tightened his grip on me. I watched as they all screamed and shouted joyfully. I brought my camera to my eye and took a picture of Alex and ZhenZhen, who were laughing at each other. Armstrong stood in the aisle next to where Gabriel and I were sitting. He wouldn't lay down, and he kept staring out the windshield. I nudged him with my foot, but he wouldn't move. I reached for his head, and I felt him growling. I looked up through the windshield to see an alien ship.

"Everybody down!" I screamed.

It hit the truck in front of the line, and things went up in flames. We stared, wide-eyed. Armstrong's growl grew into a bark, and the truck in front of us got hit. It went flying and slammed straight into us. Gabriel reacted before I did, tugging Armstrong by the collar and getting him out of the way of oncoming glass. We screamed.

"Oh my... shit!" I heard Alex.

"Alex, you okay?" I slid out from under Gabriel's arm. "Alex!"

He was trying to help the driver, who was pinned down. The man wouldn't take his hand, and he was yelling for us to get out.

"Alex, come on!" The four of us struggled to get him to come along.

We scrambled to the door, but it wouldn't budge.

"Kick it!" Dariush shouted.

Gabriel kicked it open, jumping out.

Okay that was kinda hot.

He caught me by the waist and helping me onto the ground. Armstrong was in attack mode, growling as he waited for us. Alex caught my eye, thinking the same thing I was.

Armstrong isn't safe with us.

Alex looked at me with teary eyes and nodded. I eased a hand onto Armstrong's back, pulling him to sit by the collar. I knelt in front of him, and the world seemed to stop. Alex came by our side, scratching Armstrong's chest.

"You go and be a good boy. Okay?" He sniffled.

"Go be safe. We'll find you. I promise." I kissed Armstrong's snout before stepping back with a gasp, pulling Alex behind me.

"Go!" I shouted, pretending I was angry as I pointed down the alley we had come from.

Armstrong looked at me, confused and whimpering. I could see him favoring the leg he had hurt. I took a deep breath and screamed at him again. He turned away and took off.

"Watch out for the dogs!" Dariush yelled as we came to the backside of the bus.

A man tried to shoot the alien dog down, but was attacked. Alex was shouting, and we had to move again. We made our way to the other side of the bus; the sky was filled to the brim with alien ships and fighter jets. Gabriel grabbed my hand and pulled.

"Holy shit!" Dariush shouted as we got to the truck.

Gabriel and I knelt by the marine, who was stuck underneath.

"What are you doing?" He asked as Dariush began shouting, and he and Gabriel tried to move the truck.

"We're gonna get you out!" Alex shouted, trying to pull him out.

"Stop, you gotta go!" He tried to wave us off. "You have to go!"

I heard the radio beeping, and pointed at it. ZhenZhen stuffed it into her bag, and Alex continued to argue with the soldier.

"Come on, we can't leave you!" I told the marine.

"Stop! Stop, stop, stop." He became even more serious. "It's okay."