01. Meeting in the Interrogation Room

wc: 1781

wc: 1781

———————//———————

"Y/n l/n, is it?" A tall man with dark hair and blue eyes stood before you in the heatless, lifeless interrogation room.

"Yes," you say begrudgingly, slouched in your cold metal chair with a defiant frown on your face.

The man glanced down at the file in his hands. "Selling illegal dark magical objects is a serious offense, you know. Enough to get you, say, three years in Azkaban."

You shifted uncomfortably, but the aurors had caught you red-handed, so there was no point in lying.

"However," the man said, spiking your interest. You liked 'however's'. "I'm willing to make a deal, if—and only if— you help me. You'll be on probation for a few years, but not in Azkaban."

You nodded vigorously. Anything is better than Azkaban. "Whatever you need, handsome," you say smoothly, mostly to spite him, but he wasn't exactly ugly...

The tall man before you may as well have rolled his eyes, but he kept his composure and looked straight into your eyes. "It's Mr Scamander to you, y/l/n."

"Can't help it."

He tossed your file on the table and leaned towards you, hands resting on the shiny metallic table and patience running thin. "Alright, y/n. I'll say it to you straight. Grindelwald is still missing and I need your help finding him."

You froze. The Grindelwald? He didn't happen to have a brother, an uncle maybe?

"You... an auror? need me?" You breathed, the uneasiness growing in your chest. This has to be some kind of trick. A joke? A mistake at the very least, surely. You noticed his intense gaze that rested on you, studying your every move. It felt as if he were reading every thought that passed through your head. Well, hopefully not all of them...

"Yes, you have had dealings with many of his followers," he said. You tried to feign innocence and opened your mouth to defend yourself. "Oh stop it with that look, we've been watching you for weeks," he added at the confused look on your face. Nice.

"Listen, Salamander—"

"Scamander."

"Gesundheit. I can't help you people, my reputation will be ruined! I am a businesswoman of sorts, after all. My clients' trust will be completely destroyed. Not to mention any legal business I might have had too. You do understand, don't you?"

The look on his face told you he didn't.

"You will help us or go to Azkaban. Your choice," he deadpanned.

You sighed.

"...Fine." Well, I'll either die doing this or have one hell of a story, you thought.