03. Wrong Knockturn

wc: 2336——————//——————Four days passed, and both you and the aurors took no time off, working even harder to find Grindelwald with each passing day

wc: 2336
——————//——————
Four days passed, and both you and the aurors took no time off, working even harder to find Grindelwald with each passing day. You and a few others had stayed in Paris for two of those days and looked for any new information, but nothing. You tried your oldest French contacts and even friends of friends and still came up empty handed. Grindelwald was nowhere to be found.

When you returned to England, frustrated and exhausted, you worked more closely with Theseus than anyone. Without the auror with the scar, Downings, you were all working much harder than normal. Even after the ceremony for the fallen aurors and the funeral for Downings, it still felt surreal. Like the whole event in the tomb was a dream. But it was real. And your friend for a short time was gone.

Even with the air of loss looming aground the room as you and the aurors worked to make new connections, somehow the mourning of friends brought you all together.

—/—

Your thoughts often wandered to a moment after Downing's funeral. After everyone had left, you retreated back into the pews of the the church to recollect your forgotten purse, only to find Theseus still sitting unmoving in one of the pews, eyes closed, hands folded in his lap, and eyebrows furrowed. He looked like the picture of regret.

You slipped into the pew and sat beside him, wordlessly taking his hands in yours. You concluded, after his lack of surprise at this, that he knew the sounds of your footsteps by heart. That felt oddly comforting, knowing someone out there does. He turned your hands over and squeezed them between his own.

"Theseus, you mustn't blame yourself for this. It's not your fault," you said gently, sensing his thoughts.

His eyes opened, red and shining. Theseus had been crying. He said nothing, but the helpless look in his eyes almost moved you to tears as well.

Then it was like a magnet pulling you together. Theseus pulled you into a desperate, emotional bear hug  that somehow you both needed. You felt like two parts of the same pair. In those moments, you were like waves meeting in the ocean, colliding and sinking down into the water below.

After your much needed hug, you returned to your seated positions, and you rested your head on Theseus's shoulder as you both stared up at the stained glass window above you.

You would get through this. Both of you. And you would find Grindelwald if it was the last thing you did, for Downings. His death would mean something, you were sure of it.

—/—

One day after lunch, a small breakthrough came when a suspect you had identified from the vague description of "one-eyed and ugly" had turned out to be a loyal follower of Grindelwald and an avid spreader of his message. Other aurors were now out to bring him in for questioning as you and Theseus sat in his office.

"Y/n, if you keep up this detective work, we might just have to hire you full-time," Theseus said with a twinkle in his eye.

You smirked at the thought. "Well, I'm out of a job now because of you," you replied cheekily.