Chapter One

Barnes. That's all I know about my father. All the information I could possibly gather without being caught. A last name. Nothing else.

My name is Nadiya Barnes. Yes, I was born and raised in HYDRA. You might be asking why. Well, that's the question I've been asking myself for the past ten years.

A few months ago, I discovered that my parents were alive. All I know about my father is that his last name is Barnes. He was captured by HYDRA many years ago and was made into the Winter Soldier. My mother on the other hand, was from the Red Room. She's an assassin they call the Black Widow.

HYDRA doesn't know that I know all of this. If they found out, I was going to get my memory wiped. Again.

I tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear as I go over all the information I have gathered. Once I am satisfied, I put all of the papers into a folder and put it back into my hiding place.

As I return back to my bed, I am soon overtaken by yet another memory coming to the surface.

Flashback

My little legs try to keep up with the man with the metal arm. His grip on me has tightened ever so slightly as he drags me to the lab. "Winter, please, this isn't you!" I plead as we near the door. "Please! Don't let them hurt me. Not again!" I cry as he pushes through the door and throws me onto the ground.

I look up into his eyes. They were full of guilt. I gave him a reassuring smile as if to say 'I forgive you'. This isn't the same person who comforts me when I cry, patches me up after beatings, and watches out for me. No. This is the Winter Soldier.

The sound of footsteps snap me out of my thoughts. I turn around just in time to see two men grab my arms. I start to scream and thrash around demanding they let me go. Of course, it didn't work. Who would listen to a five year old?

I was immediately strapped down onto a cold, metal table. A man with a white lab coat came up next to me. "Ah, little Nadiya. When will you ever learn?" I stared into his cold eyes. They were full of no love. They were full of hate. I just kept on staring at him with no response. "Let us begin, shall we?" He said with a smirk.

He proceeds to walk over to a small table full of his little gadgets. Many of which were sharp. As I look to see what he is doing, I start to panic. I knew what was coming, and it was what I feared the most.

Torture.

I sit up on my bed, gasping for air. I knew him. I knew my father. He was the mysterious man who always would tend to me when I was a child.

I quickly get up from my bed to find the folder of information about my parents. I pull a piece of paper out and start sketching the face of my father.

I was almost finished with my sketch when my door was busted open to reveal four of HYDRA's agents. They immediately saw what I was doing and snatched it away from me.

"Take her to the lab. Make sure she doesn't remember any of this." One of the agents say. I can take them. I thought. I let them get close to me. Then I decided to strike.

I took the hand of the first agent and pulled him forward. Then, I grabbed his head and slammed it into a wall, making him loose consciousness. Agent two grabbed me from behind and I immediately elbowed him in the stomach. He groaned in pain and clutched his stomach. Agent three then decided to tackle me. As we continued to throw punches back and forth, agent two decided to join in the fun.

As our battle continued, I was able to knock out agent three and break agent two's arm. This just made the forth agent really mad. So mad the he stormed out of the room. I was too busy fighting agent two to noice that the forth agent returned with a syringe in his hand.

He wasted no time plummeting the needle into my neck. I grabbed his hand in protest, but I was already starting to feel too weak to pull away. As I have an inward battle to stay conscious, I finally proceed to let the darkness consume me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wake up on a familiar cold, metal table. I try to move my hands, but fail. I look down to see that both my hands and feet were restrained to the table. It was then I knew what was happening. I let it all sink in and I start to panic.

I don't want to forget. Not again.  I had come too close to fail this tremendously. Who knows if I'll be able to remember if I even had parents in the first place.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when a small stack of papers were thrown into me. "You thought you could figure it out, did you?" He stared at me with the same cold eyes he always had, waiting for me to answer. He was HYDRA's main scientist. He preformed all the experiments on me. But from time to time, he would preform my torture just to hear me scream.

I didn't say anything back as I gathered up everything to give him the harshest glare. "Not going to speak, are we? Well, that's okay. I will do the speaking, since you won't remember any of this. I am going to go inside that pretty little mind of yours and wipe every memory, thought, or question you have about your parents. You won't know they exist. Then, when I'm done, you will be sent to the torture room all day to be punished for fighting the agents. Do I make myself clear?"

I don't say anything back. On the outside, it may look like I want to throw some punches at the guy. I mean don't get me wrong, I do, but it's not what I'm feeling. On the inside, I'm scared. I've been in pain all of my life, and all I want is for it to stop. Stop the pain. Stop the suffering. But I know it won't be that easy.

I was brought back from my thoughts when a piece of rubber was forced into my mouth. They then proceeded to my a helmet on my head. But, it's not any helmet. It's THE helmet that takes away your memories.

"No!" I scream into the rubber. I start to struggle against the restraints as I try to break free. I knew it wouldn't work, but it was worth a try.

Then, there was a shock throughout my body. If kept on increasing until it became unbearable. I started to scream into the rubber that was in my mouth, praying for it to stop. I screamed for so long that my throat became bare. Eventually, the pain was too much that my body lost against the fight for consciousness.

Updated 7/16/19