Chapter Fourteen

To say they were surprised when they saw me was an understatement. The looks on their face was priceless.

If I wasn't just about to confront my parents about this whole family thing, I would've laughed. But I'm more scared than I am happy.

Instant regret flooded over me as I watched them regain their composure and find the right words. Maybe this wasn't a good idea.

"You know what, um, yea this was probably a bad idea. I'm gonna go." I said rather quickly.

I turned on my heel and was about to speed walk out of the room when a voice stopped me.

"Wait," Natasha said, "stay, please."

With my back still facing them, I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe. I turned around and faced my parents.

"Is everything okay?" Bucky asked.

"Oh yea, everything fine. Just fine." I said. Man I am awkward. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry."

Bucky gave me a confused look. "What do you have to be sorry for? You didn't do anything wrong." He said gently.

I looked to the ground and started fiddling with my hands. "I've been avoiding you guys because of my own insecurities, and I realize now that if we are going to make this work, we have to start somewhere."

Natasha looked at me with sad eyes. "No, it should be us apologizing." She walked up to me and grabbed my shoulders. "We are your parents. We should've stuck by your side the second we got off that plane. I'm sorry, Nadiya, that we weren't there."

By this point, I had tears threatening to spill. I gave her a genuine smile and did something that I don't  typically do. I gave my mom a hug.

When we departed, I turned to Bucky. "I remembered you, Winter."

Who knew four words could make a grown man tear up.

I walked over to him and gave him a hug as well. This felt right. Giving my dad a hug.

When pulled away, I looked at Natasha. "What do you say? Wanna spar?"

She looked conflicted. "I don't know, I don't want to hurt you." I let out a chuckle.

"You shouldn't be worrying about me. If I were you I'd be worrying about myself."

Natasha scoffed in disbelief. "Alright, you're on kid." With that she rolled up her sleeves and walked over to the sparing mat.

"Nadiya, she rolled up her sleeves. You're going to get it." Bucky said with a scared look in his eye.

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks for the pep talk." I walk over to where Natasha is and get prepared.

"Alright ladies," Bucky said, "I want a clean fight. If I think it gets too out of hand I'm stepping in."

Natasha gave him an incredulous look. "Do you really think I'd willingly hurt my daughter."

Bucky shifted awkwardly. "Well, no, b-"

"James Buchanan Barnes so help me if I hear the word 'but' come out of your mouth you will wish I was just sparing with you."

I couldn't help but laugh at the look on Bucky's face. With that he simply put his hand up in surrender and stepped back.

Then I got refocused. Natasha and I started at each other until she whispered, "Bring it."

I gave her a smirk. "Gladly."

I charged at her and wrapped my legs around her torso, flipping her and pinning her to the ground. Her being agile on her feet quickly got out of the hold and kicked me over her body. In the corner of my eye I could see Bucky looking at me intently.

When she came charging at me, I kicked her legs out from underneath her and went to grab her wrist to put her in a locked position, but grabbed me hand before I could do anything.

I was then yanked across her and nice again and I felt her legs wrap around me and flip me so I was on my back. I quickly stood up and went in for another attack.

I threw a couple punches, but she blocked most of them. Since she was distracted blocking my punches, I decided to kick her in the gut, sending her backwards. When she tried to get up I quickly ran up behind her and swung my legs around neck. With a split of a second I had her pinned to the ground and winded.

"Not too bad. Now get off of me." She said. I chuckled at her response and got off of her. After helping her stand, I made my way over to Bucky.

"Nice job. Some of your stances need a little work, but that's nothing we can't work on. In fact, why don't you come train with us tomorrow? Nat and I can help on improving your variety of skills."

I took a moment to think over Bucky's offer. Then I remember what Peter had told me earlier today.

All of you want to let each other in, but you're too afraid to. You just gotta take the first step.

Maybe this is the first step. Yea, this is it. This is the chance for me to get close with my parents.

But what if I'll ruin it? It's not the first life I've ruined. Luka is a prime example. Just him being in my life got him killed.

Let's not forget about all the terrible things I've done. What if when they find out, they think I'm a monster? What if they hate me? I'd rather never know who my parents are then to have them willingly hate me.

They probably pity me. I mean who wouldn't? They all probably do. I'm just a thirteen year old girl who destroys everything she touches. Natasha probably let me win our spar. I mean come on, she's the Black Widow. Nobody loses to her.

"Hey, you okay?" Came Natasha's soft voice. I saw her eyeing my with concern.

"Uh-"

"How about this," Bucky interjected, "You can sleep on it. I don't need an answer right now, and I don't want you to feel pressured. If you want to, great. If not, that's no big deal. Whatever you want to do."

I let out a sight of relief and nodded. "Thank you."

Bucky smiled. "Of course. How about we go get some dinner? I can take you both to a nice place. My treat."

I felt a pang of anxiety flow through me as Bucky made his offer. Going out in public places isn't really my thing. It would be the first time I'd ever went anywhere besides without a mission hanging over my shoulders. It might be nice.

"Sure, let's do it." I said. Bucky smiled like a dork and Natasha seemed pleasantly surprised. She then nodded her head and smiled. "Alright, sounds like a plan. I'll go get ready."

When she left the training room, it was just Bucky and I standing there. We both didn't know what to say, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't awkward.

"So," I said rather awkwardly, "I'm going to go. I'll see you in a bit." I then started to speed walk out of the room. Before I reached the door, I heard my name being called.

"Nadiya?"

I turned around to face Bucky once more. "Yea?" I asked.

"Thank you for staying." He then gave a little nod and walked to wear his training bag was, grabbed it, then walked out of the room.

I was too surprised by the answer to reply. But once he left the room, I let it sink in.

"No problem, dad." I whispered.

Updated 2/13/20