Chapter Twenty

Bucky's POV

"Everyone stay alert," Steve said through the coms, "be prepared for anything."

"Copy that," Clint replied.

"This is all my fault," I told Steve, "I should've known better than to bring her into public while HYDRA was around."

"Bucky, no." Steve stopped in his tracks, "This isn't your fault at all. Nadiya has had a rough life, and you were just trying to show her that you love her."

"Sure, except the fact that my love for my daughter is what's going to get her killed." I snapped.

The lights around us started to flicker, then they shut off completely. The only thing lighting our path was the red emergency lights.

"She cut the power."

"Smart kid," Steve replied, "just like her dad."

"Yea whatever, let's just get going." I said as I grabbed my backup flashlight from my belt and continued down the hallways of STARK Tower.

The red glare of the backup lights made the hallways eerie, as if anything could come out of nowhere. The silence was deafening, and it made me almost wish Tony was here. Almost.

But above all, the silence reminded me of my life before Nadiya. The hole in my heart was a void of silence wanting to be filled with laughter and joy of a loved one. Nadiya filled that hole. Knowing that she is somewhere in this tower, confused and in pain, puts me in agony. I'm her father, I'm supposed to protect her, and yet I can't even do that.

The universe may be against me, and that's fine. But if they even dare to come near my child, they have another thing coming.

"Bucky wait," Steve said as he goes to grab my arm, "we're not alone."

I scanned the hallway, trying to see if I could spot another person, or if I'd be able to hear anyone. Only the silence answered.

"I don't see or hear anything Steve." I replied, "Are you sure-"

A yell of surprise escaped my mouth as I collided with the floor. Turns out, Steve was right. Nadiya was hiding in the air vent in the ceiling.

"Yep, I'm pretty sure!" Steve yelled as he went for Nadiya. The years of training HYDRA provided for her gave her the upper hand, as she was quickly able to dodge any of his grabs for her.

I quickly came to my feet as I saw Steve struggling to fight Nadiya. Let's get one thing straight, if Steve wanted to, he could end this fight within seconds. I would've killed him if he did, but he could. But, to my upmost respect, Steve wouldn't dare hurt a girl, let alone a child. He was trying to be as gentle as he could while trying to get her into custody.

Nadiya on the other hand was being ruthless. With every grab by Steve, she dodged then attacked. Whether it was a kick to the ribs, or a punch to the jaw, she did everything she did with full force. No holding back.

Her once bright, blue eyes were now shaded over. It was if she held no emotion. She had no idea who she was, or what she was doing. She was a mindless soldier.

"Bruce, you wouldn't happen to have any sedatives on you at the moment? Steve and I found Nadiya!" I yelled into my comms as I went to assist Steve.

"Let me check." Bruce replied.

As I looked up from my comm, all I could see was Steve go flying into the wall.

"That's going to leave a mark." I snickered, which earned a glare from Steve.