C H A P T E R . ➒ : ranking

Let my soul smile through my heart

 And my heart smile through my eyes.

......................................

I wandered the Trinity-K halls with a delightful smile on my lips. I don't know why, but colours seem so bright. Like I've been struck by a magic spell that makes me see the beauty of everything.

I hummed a joyful song as I made it to the cafeteria for breakfast, joining Harper, Mina, John and Max. 

" Someone seems happy today." Stated John as I sat down.

" Oh, it's nothing." I tried to sound casual but I noticed I was twirling my finger on a lock of hair. I immediately stopped, Harper ooooing and Max chuckling at me.

" Well actually-"

" Shhh!" Mina interjected me. " They're about to announce the ranks!"

Worried expressions marked their faces as they began to hold each other's hands. I felt my bones crunch when Mina squeezed mine. I couldn't care less, I mean it's just another label, it doesn't really define who you are.

" Attention students of Trinity-Kingsburry, welcome to the monthly ranking event." A voice announced.

Suddenly, an electronic, hologram board began to appear in the center of the cafeteria. March ranking, it said in big, bold letters. A few names began to pop on the screen.

" Royalty slots are taken by the three kings, Tristan Delroy, Ace Genovese and Adrian Darkwell."

A shower of applause rang in the cafeteria as the kings accepted their position. A couple of people whistled and girls started to line up to congratulate them.

" Next up, noblemen." the cafeteria fell silent. " Addie Legarcia, Mason Lynn, Harper Anderson..." he trailed off.

Our  whole table turned to face her. She a smiling broadly, beaming with surprise. Mina was punching her excitedly as I gave her a hug.

" Omg, Harper!" I squealed.

She giggled as John wrapped his arm around her. 

" You won't forget us, and become a red lipstick bitch?" He teased and she playfully shoved him.

" Of course not! You guys are my everything." She claimed as we gave her a group hug. I felt her stiffen as I broke our embrace. 

" What's wrong?" I questioned as she pointed up. 

" Um, Elly?" She said cautiously.

I followed the direction and saw the board add a name. I froze, unable to move, when I read the bold letters making up a name.

Elyse Huxley.

Was I becoming a nobleman? I was frozen under shock, unable to process it was really happening. I glanced over at the kings table and I saw Tristan wink at me. I blushed before turning my head away quickly.

" W-what is g-going on?" I managed to say while my table started to applaud me. Their proud smiles made me face one to my own lips, but deep down, I was terrified. 

They listed more names but I zoned off in my own thoughts. What would this mean? What did I do to upper ranks? And more importantly, who was the 4th king who chose me? I looked at John and Max. Impossible, I didn't do anything particularly kind to them.

I wiped that puzzled off my face and tried to celebrate with Harper. I bent down and whispered in her ear,

" If I'm a nobleman, does that mean someone became my lord spot?" I wondered.

" Of course, you went up so someone went down." She answered back as I let my gaze wander in the room, That's when I saw Tiffany crying, and her noblemen friends consoling her, patting her back and telling her supportive words. 

Did I take Tiffany's place?                                                                                                                                                                         

I felt a stab of guilt. Sure she wasn't the kindest person to me, but not only I ditched her but also took her spot. 

" Don't worry about her." Harper said, reading my mind. " Serves that bitch right." She muttered to herself.

I stared at her. Harper, calling someone a bitch? What was going on?

" I'm sorry, did I hear right? Harper, what did Tiffany do to you?" I coaxed

She gave a worried look to John, which he answered by mouthing a stiff no. They were hiding something.

" Never mind forget what I just said." She fretted before changing the conversation.

I was going to find out what happened between them and Tiffany, I swore to myself. But now, there's nothing wrong with contemplating my new rank.

....................................................

Right before I left the school, placing my books in my locker, a note fell out. Curious, I bent down and picked it up and read,

New Nobleman, 

Welcome to the Midnight club. Our next meeting shall be tonight, at dorm 543.

Tell no one and come alone or with other invited members.

I stuffed the note in my front pocket. A midnight club? Since when did that exist? I guess only noblemen knew about this, and that this was not an invitation to refuse. I took my phone and dialed Harper's number. After a couple of rings, she answered.

" Elly, I just found the weirdest thing." She started. So she got one aswell.

" A note? Me too. What should we do?" I interrogated.

" We go." She answered simply but her voice was quivering with fear.

.....................................................

Hey dear readers!

How did you discover Wattpad?

This is my crazy story. So I was in the car when I heard a song play on the radio, but they didn't announce the name. It was Sweet Little Lies but I didn't know that! 

So I searched Sweet Bitter Lies and found a Wattpad story. At that time, I was like : Wattpad? Is that a form of YouTube?

So I clicked on it and read it, and even though it wasn't the best story, I discovered that you can write nd publish your own stories as well! Anyways this is how I discovered Wattpad! :) 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and see you around!

.............................................................