Dinner

Faith grabbed a pair of scissors and shortened the strand of hair that was giving her fits. Dampening it and twirling it around her finger, she hoped it would look wispy when it dried. She left the bathroom and sat on the side of her bed, willing the butterflies in her stomach to fly away. She should have refused the dinner invitation from Baxter, but he'd seemed so sincere in his apology, and his eyes had been so blue, she'd been unable to turn him down. In half an hour she would meet him downstairs.

Her gaze shifted to the wrapped painting of Owen purchased at the street fair. No one knew she had it except the art proprietor. She considered unwrapping it, but discarded that thought. She wasn't ready to ponder the strange happenings since arriving in Somewhere. So, instead of twiddling her thumbs for thirty minutes, she decided to continue writing the pirate story she'd been composing since her first foray into the woods. She sat at her desk and opened her laptop. Her hero was a ruthless pirate named Dax who looked like Baxter. She tapped a finger against her chin and decided to improve his moral fiber, and since she was about to send him into the midst of battle with an English clipper ship, what better way than to add chivalry. So engrossed was she in writing a scene between Dax and a widowed Duchess named Lady Charity, that she forgot about the time until there was a knock on her door. Baxter called, "Faith? Are you in there?"

She jumped up and rushed to open the door. "I'm so sorry! I got ready early and then decided to pass the time by working on a story I'm writing."

She wished she could take the words back when he glanced past her to the desk and said, "So you like to write? You can tell me all about it during dinner."

Faith felt her face flame. She could never tell Baxter he was the dashing Dax in her novel. She returned to her desk. "Just let me power my laptop down and then we can go."

An hour later while they conversed over Crab Louie at Seafood Heaven, Baxter lifted his wine glass. "A toast to whatever you're writing and may it be enjoyed by many."

Faith had no choice but to lift her glass and touch it to his. She was about to change the subject when he said, "So, are you writing poetry, fiction, nonfiction?"

"Ah, fiction."

He grinned. "Judging by the way you're blushing, I'm wondering if you write romance."

"I-I actually have some children's stories in mind," she replied inanely.

"But this one isn't for children?"

She gulped her Chardonnay. "No. It's...I guess I should admit its romance." She lifted her gaze to his.

He was grinning. "My mother loves romance books. You'll have to let her read it when it's finished."

Faith had no inclination to let anyone read her story. It was simply a form of distraction. Instead of admitting that, she said, "It's amateurish and I'd be embarrassed for anyone to read it."

Their waiter returned to check on them and after he left Faith quickly changed the conversation. "I understand the owner of this restaurant is a relative of yours."

"Only by marriage. He was married to the daughter of Randall Hope. Leo is a nice guy and we get along great. My mother, however, not so much."

Faith wanted to ask him why and her expression must have revealed that, because Baxter laughed and said, "The whole town knows they don't get along, but no one knows exactly why, although there are many speculations." He grinned. "But just like the speculations of Stone House being haunted, it adds mystery to our town."

Their conversation during the remainder of the meal was pleasant and interesting and she learned that Baxter was a software engineer who worked via the internet and also dabbled in investments, which explained his ability to spend summers in Somewhere. She was curious as to why he didn't live there permanently, but didn't ask. As for herself, the only thing she revealed was that she had been an elementary school teacher. Then she related funny stories about her students.

They were pleasantly interrupted when a dessert cart featuring assorted mouth-watering pastries and puddings was pushed to their table by Leo Constanzo. He and Baxter shook hands and exchanged pleasantries, and then Leo shifted his attention to Faith. "Thank you again for helping Vicky at the festival. She calculated that over two hundred flyers were passed out and I expect there will be an increase in customers tomorrow and the rest of the week."

"It was fun and made me feel a part of something." As soon as Faith said the words, she wanted to take them back. She was sure they made her appear lonely and pitiful, and the last thing she wanted was for anyone to feel sorry for her, especially Baxter.

Leo said, "Well, I heard through the grapevine that Doris and Dave are showing you homes in Somewhere, so maybe you're already a part of the community."

Faith didn't want to continue the direction of their conversation because, inevitably, it would lead to questions about why she was relocating. She moved her gaze to the dessert cart and pointed to one. "Is that tiramisu?" The conversation was effectively changed.

By the time Faith finished her chocolate crumble tiramisu and dessert wine, she was stuffed. She hadn't eaten so much in years, but every bite had been delicious. She leaned back in her chair. "Baxter, the meal was fabulous. Thank you for bringing me here."

"Thank you for accepting my invitation. I haven't enjoyed myself so much in, well, years."

Faith was surprised by his admission.