Flood

Gabby entered Seafood Heaven and waited for the hostess to return to her station. Leo had called and said they needed to talk, but that he couldn't get away from the restaurant. She wondered if he was setting her up for another luncheon with him. Noah walked past the station and saw her. "Hi, Aunt Gabby. Gramps told me you were coming over."

"He said he needed to talk but couldn't get away."

"That's for sure. He discovered a leaking pipe in the basement this morning and the plumber left about an hour ago. Gramps has been cleaning up the mess."

"Is he still in the basement?"

"Probably. Come on back to the kitchen."

She followed her nephew to the swinging doors and as soon as they entered the chef said, "Noah, table four is ready."

Noah said to Gabby, "We just got back to serving and we're down a waiter. Can you find your way to the basement?"

"I think I still know the way." She motioned toward a second door in the kitchen and Noah nodded. "Follow the hallway to the back."

The chef said, "Noah, the food is getting cold."

As Noah rushed to the warming shelf he called, "I'll catch you later, Aunt Gabby."

"Sure thing, Noah." Although she had a passing acquaintance with the chef and some of the employees, they were all too busy to give her more than a nod. Following the hallway past several doors, she came to the end and lightly knocked. There was no answer so she opened it and called, "Leonardo, are you down there?"

There was a shuffling and then, "Yes, Gabriella. Come on down."

By the way he'd emphasized her name, she knew he wasn't happy about being called Leonardo, but she didn't care. She descended the stairs and saw him pushing a shop-vac toward a puddle of water. He glanced up. "This is the last of the disaster. Just give me a few minutes."

Gabby nodded and sat on a stair halfway down. In a short time the puddle was sucked dry and Leo was pushing the vacuum to a corner. When he started up the stairs, she rose, but he made a downward motion. "Stay there. I need to rest a minute. I've been cleaning for over an hour." He sat beside her, forcing her to scoot over. She wanted to move to another stair, but that would only let him know how much he affected her. He released a long sigh. "I'm getting too old for catastrophes like this."

Gabby didn't want to make small talk so she said pointedly, "Why did you ask me here. Is it about Wainwright?"

Leo chuckled. "I love it when you put me in my place. And yes, it's about the resort. Dave McGovern called and said Mr. Wainwright signed the papers for the Ocean Boulevard house. Now the guy has a home in our town and I fully expect he'll begin courting the town council."

Gabby placed her elbows on her knees and her chin in her hands. "Rats."

Leo murmured something in agreement and then became silent. Finally, he said, "You might as well eat lunch with me since you're here."

Gabby frowned. "I've got too much happening at the B & B." She started to rise, but Leo touched her arm. As soon as her eyes met his, being so close, she knew she was in trouble.

He said softly, "You came here because you wanted to see me. You could have insisted I tell you my news over the phone."

She couldn't remove her gaze from his, and it was only when his lips touched hers that she closed her eyes. Magically, the years faded and she was again that young woman being kissed by a man who made her heart both soar and hurt at the same time. He moved one hand to the back of her head and deepened the kiss. She gripped his shoulders, moving her mouth in synch with his. When he trailed his lips to her ear and said, "Gabby, I love you," she didn't push him away. It was only when she felt tears welling that she pulled back, and, in direct opposition to what she really wanted, whispered, "No," then forcefully, "No!" She pushed at Leo's chest and he leaned back as a tear dripped down her cheek. "No, Leo. This is wrong."

He released her.

Face-to-face, he smiled sadly. "Gabby, for being such an intelligent woman, you're ruining what could become the happiest years of our lives."

"Marcus gave me the happiest years of my life."

His stare did not waver. "I'll not argue over words. You know what I meant. We could be very happy together."

Gabby stood and started backing up the stairs, then turned and rushed up them. When she entered the hallway she blinked back a flood of tears. At the kitchen door she paused to compose herself and then hurried through the room and into the dining area. Noah had his back to her while conversing with patrons and she ignored the hostess' farewell as she escaped into the sunshine.

She cried all the way home.