Problem

When Gabby learned that her son had taken Faith to dinner, she was ecstatic, but careful not to show it. "So, I hope you apologized to Faith for your rude behavior about Owen."

Baxter glanced up from typing into his laptop and replied dryly, "Do you really think I need to answer that?"

She grinned and plopped across the couch. "No. I know you were a perfect gentleman and profusely apologetic. So, tell me about your date. Unless you took her out of town, I'm guessing you went to Seafood Heaven." She wrinkled her nose, not because the restaurant wasn't fabulous, but because it was owned by Leo. She thought about his recent visit when he'd suggested that she was suppressing romantic feelings for him, and then remembered their kiss from years ago. She wouldn't think about that.

Baxter said, "Mom, what is it with you and Leo. He's a nice guy and you've known him for years. What's this aversion you have to him?" He stretched and grinned. "Do you secretly have a crush on him and think it would make dad turn over in his grave?"

Gabby jumped to her feet. "I do not! And I think that's a terrible thing to say!"

Clearly taken aback, Baxter frowned and lifted his hands in surrender. "I was only kidding."

Gabby sat back on the couch and diverted the conversation. "I'm waiting to hear about your date."

"Don't try to make something out of it. We just had dinner."

"Did she share anything about herself?"

"She admitted that the McGoverns are showing her homes for sale and reiterated how much she likes Somewhere. She also said she once taught third graders. That's about it."

Gabby placed her elbows on her knees and cupped her chin. "That woman needs to unburden herself and what better person than you—a jilted husband. Maybe the two of you can overcome life's challenges together."

Baxter choked on his iced tea. "Mother! Now you're the one saying terrible things!"

"Yes, but it's true." She rose to leave, but when she reached the door, she glanced over her shoulder. "If ever there was a match made in heaven, it's the two of you." Baxter glared at her, but before he could reply, she shut the door.

Later that day, while pulling weeds in the vegetable garden on the kitchen side of the house, she heard a car pull to the curb. Rising slowly from a kneeling position because her knees sometimes gave her trouble, she brushed her dirty hands on her smock and walked to the front of the house. Leo had just stepped onto the pathway and when he saw her, he paused. She wanted to duck behind the house to avoid him, but it was too late. He stepped off the path and walked toward her. "Hello Gabby. Nice day."

She put her hands in the pockets of her smock. "Yes. They usually are during summer." He stopped in front of her and his gaze made her heart lurch.

"I need to talk to you about something." His tone was serious.

"If it's about what you said last time you were here, I want you to leave."

He shook his head. "You're off the hook for now."

She motioned toward the porch. "Okay. Have a seat and I'll wash up and bring us tea." She stepped past him.

"Wait."

She paused and turned around and he reached to gently rub his thumb across her cheek. "You're smudged with dirt."

Gabby couldn't remove her gaze from his and felt the same electricity that had zinged between them so many years ago. She ducked her head. "Like I said, I'll wash up and join you on the porch."

Inside the house she rushed upstairs to her bathroom and stared in the mirror. Her eyes reflecting back sparkled and her cheeks were flushed. Damn. Angrily she splashed water on her face, pulled out the large clip holding her hair in a knot at the nape of her neck, and jerked a brush through her tresses before twisting it back into a knot. She removed her smock, considered changing into a fresh blouse, and cursed again. She wouldn't try to look nice for Leo.

After she left her room she headed for the kitchen to pour two glasses of iced tea, and to prolong the moment before having to see Leo again, she complimented J & J on the Mexican meal they had served the night before. Then she gulped a breath and returned to the porch.

Leo was talking on his cell phone. "Noah, replace the Merlot with our most expensive Cabernet. We need to keep some Merlot in reserve." He glanced at her. "Gotta go. I'll talk to you later, son."

Gabby handed Leo his tea as he pocketed his phone. "How is Noah? I haven't seen him lately."

"He's working his tail off at the restaurant and marina and hates that I'm insisting he attend Portland University after he graduates next year. He keeps telling me he wants to follow in my footsteps, and I keep telling him he has to explore his options." He blew a breath. "It's not that I'm opposed to him taking over the reins of my businesses someday, I just want him to be sure that's what he really wants. It's the same problem Dave and Doris are having with Malana." He shrugged. "Are we wrong in asking our children to explore the world when they insist they want to live and work in Somewhere?" His gaze drifted across the street. "Maybe Baxter is the exception. I always thought he'd get tired of city living and return to help you with the B & B, but he hasn't."

Gabby glanced at her hands. "That's what I thought too, but his wife messed up his head." Realizing she was speaking too intimately with Leo, she said matter-of-factly, "So, what is it you want to talk about?"

Leo moved his gaze from staring at the park across the street to staring in her eyes. "Somewhere has a problem, which means we have a problem."