Part 1 - Chapter 8

My feet trudge on the gravel with a crunch as I walk towards Gothel's castle. Today marks an important day in my life because I've never felt more determined to do something. I have to stop Gothel from toying with my thoughts and emotions once and for all.

The three huntsmen standing watch at the main gate come running towards me as soon as they spot me. One of them keeps a sword pointed at me but I don't run or cower. I offer both my wrists and without second thought, one of them cuffs me in iron chains. Even though no one spoke, the perplexed looks on their faces and the swiftness with which they capture me tells me they can't conceive why I would give myself up without a fight.

"Move," the one pointing the sword spits as the one behind me shoves me forward.

I remain silent and obediently walk forward towards the grey, dim walls. A huntsman standing inside the courtyard opens the black iron bar doors for us. The courtyard is empty. Probably the huntsmen are outside the castle grounds looking for me or my brother.

Gothel walks inside the hall from another entrance as the huntsman behind me pushes me onto my knees at the foot of the steps in front of her throne. When she walks in, her entire body sways to the step like she's dancing. Stopping right in front of me, she brings her eyes at level with mine. Shallow crow's feet have started to appear in the corner of her eyes. The roots of her hairs have started to lose colour.

"Just the man I was looking for," Gothel says, without trying to hide her sarcasm. "Why would you decide to let yourself be caught? Either you're a fool or you've got something up your sleeve. I don't picture you to be a foolish man Jacob."

"I want you to remove the bounties you put on me and my brother's heads," I say harshly. "I'm sick and tired of having a spoilt brat chasing after us. We created you and I'd appreciate a little more respect."

"What? Do you want me to call you Father? I see no good reason to do what you ask from me, Daddy. After all I am a spoilt child aren't I? What I want I always obtain."

"I have two hundred pages full of reasons which might convince you otherwise," I say, knowing her thirst for power is too great for her to refuse what I'm offering.

As soon as my words reach somewhere down inside her, she turns back towards me and utters a long and hysterical laugh, slightly bending backwards. Taking her right hand, she slips her fingers into her left sleeve and pulls out something into her fist.

"Do you mean to say you have in your possession the lock this opens?" Gothel says, dangling a small key with a chain. I blink, unable to accept it is the key the dwarves gave me – the same key William took from me. How she came in possession of it I don't know but my insides squirm.

Before I have a chance to answer, two huntsmen come in followed by a male prisoner. The man's clothes are filthy as if he spent the day rolling in the mud, hair long and unruly blending with a thick beard. With his head bent down, dark brown locks dangling, I cannot see his face but when he lifts his head it's like for a moment, I could see my own reflection. William.

"William here gave me this rather unwillingly, however, he claims he doesn't know who has the lock or where it is. From what I gather from your ramblings you are in possession of it or know it's whereabouts. Tell me where to find the book and I will spare your brother once it is in my possession."

My heart rate increases and I inhale and exhale heavily from my mouth. The skin on my face feels hot but I have to do my best not to let her know she's getting to me. After all, I came here to show her I'm not her puppet.

"I see you still think I'm not a woman of my word," Gothel says. "Maybe you need a jolt to convince yourself?"

Gothel walks over to William and grabs him from his hair, pulling his head back while with her free hand, she fetches a dagger from inside her robes and slowly moves it towards William's exposed, throbbing neck. As much as it hurt my pride to beg her, I won't be putting my brother's life in jeopardy, even if he was foolish enough to steal the key from me.