Chapter 7: Centuries ago...

Chapter 7

"What?" I whispered in astonishment.

"It doesn't matter." He grumbled.

"It does Callum." I felt my heart squeeze. "Who were they?"

He glared at me, "As if you don't know."

"I really don't." I asserted.

"Hunters." He announced. 

"Well, that much I figured out." I teased. 

"It isn't a joke Everette." He hissed. "My family fought with all the other hunters here twenty years ago. And your dogs murdered them."

"I-"

He cut me off, "So tell me, princess, if you didn't bring me here to kill me then why exactly am I here? Because no matter what, I know what I was brought up to do."

"And what is that?" I fumed as I already knew the answer.

He dropped the remainder of his sandwich on his plate before getting off the barstool and closing the distance between us.

"To kill every last one of you." He enunciated. 

"You don't mean that." I tried as my eyes looked at his.

"I do princess, trust me when I say I would." His right hand came up and brushed a few of my stray hairs away from my face. "But... I can't. I don't know what you've done to me but I can't seem to want to hurt you. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't hurt your pack for what they did to my parents."

Without warning, he pulled away from me.

"You're not going to be able to hurt them," I said as I tried to contain my anger and act as if his subtle touch didn't affect me.

"Yeah? Why is that? Because you're going to let them kill me first?" He growled.

"No, because the same way you can't hurt me, I can't hurt you."

His eyes softened a fraction but his words were harsh, "Doesn't matter because I make no promises about hurting your pack and I'm pretty sure they'll fight back, especially your boyfriend."

I felt like punching something.

Maybe his face?

If it wasn't so beautiful, I might actually.

"I told you before that he isn't my boyfriend!" I snapped. "And do you really want to know why you're here?" I didn't wait for an answer as I whispered, "You're here because my ancestors thought it was a good idea to kidnap a human and make them fall in love. So there it is."

His eyes assessed me for a moment, "I don't believe you."

I threw my hands up in frustration, "Of course you don't!"

He rolled his eyes, "I don't believe you because that's a pretty fucked up thing to do. For anyone."

He was right. Our entire situation was messed up and we both weren't getting anywhere with our constant bickering. The only way I could see us both not wanting to kill each other's families is if we both told each other everything.

If I didn't, god knows what danger could come to the pack, my mate or the humans.

"I know." I shrugged. "But you're already here."

"So what? We should fall in love and wait until the time comes around for your dogs to take someone else?" He scoffed in disbelief. 

"No." I groaned