Chapter 8

Henley looked at the car then to me. I shrugged and got in. There wasn't much choice. With someone wanting one of us dead, the rising sun and the guards searching for us, we would be in trouble soon.

"You're in vampire town and the only way that you're going to get back into the halfways safely is through that jack ass."

Alaric frowned at me.

"You do happen to see my guards, don't you?"

"Yes, you always have been full of yourself."

Henley smirked and got into the car.

"Want to explain why you're so nasty to the king?"

"Yeah," I drawled out, rolling my eyes. "We're kind of related. Don't go telling anyone, okay? I'd rather not be associated with him."

"Really?" He said softly.

I gave a disinterested shrug as he sat down. The guard closed the door and moved into the front with the driver.

"It would tarnish my reputation. I'm the Viper, I can't be associated with the powderpuff."

"Powderpuff?" Alaric said tersely.

I pouted, tilting my head to the side.

"I could go back to the last nickname I had for you."

His nose twitched as he turned to the window.

"I should have let Lockhart take the mission."

"Hmm, that would have worked well. Sending in his men to fall over themselves trying to find the wrong person. When they finally got the job done, you'd have a whole lot of upset humans on your hands. Maybe even an uprising. Killing a goody two shoes mayor, shame on you."

"Goody two shoes? What did we do in the bathroom?"

Alaric heard the whisper, turning with a smug smile.

"My goodness Claudia, you didn't misbehave in a public restroom, did you? Scarlet woman."

"Puh-lease. You knocked up the missus before marriage, scoundrel."

"Actually,"

"Don't," I said with a smug smile. "Emmeline told me she counted the days. You sunk the swimmer ahead of schedule. One hundred and eighty days on the mark. You're a man that definitely keeps to a schedule."

"That's not what she meant," Alaric snapped. "Emmeline meant that she gives birth after six months. Honestly, it's like talking to a smart ass teenager."