Chapter 19

I stared at the image of Oliver and wondered how it was possible.

"He's the second oldest vampire in Alaric's cabinet. He used to be a gun for hire for the mob, doing whack jobs for them was a regular day for him."

"But you can't honestly believe that the mob would want to bring down these people. What did they have against them?"

"We're not saying that this is the person responsible, we're just presenting the facts. The oldest is Senator Welling, a vampire that we can easily point the finger at as well. He's been extremely vocal about ensuring that the walls are high and strong. If a leader type figure came along and gave the humans a sense of pride, and realization of the lives they're really leading, then it's entirely possible that he'd want them gone. People like him, they want the lower classes to be downtrodden and Welling definitely sees humanity as a lower class."

I knew that I didn't like him. His presence in Alaric's government cabinet was drug control. He had regular contact with Alaric but not constant. It certainly fitted the profile of seen but not really seen. The problem was, he didn't get to see everything that passed through Alaric's hands whereas Oliver did. He was Alaric's advisor, Oliver saw everything.

"Is he chummy with anyone that would have access to sensitive information?"

Dad thought about it. He knew a lot about this world because it had once been his job.

"Well, I suppose that he would be pleasant to all, that is pretty standard. Access to this kind of information would be Senator Jameson, Alaric or Oliver. Bring up a little information on Jameson please Asa."

This guy was the director for national security. His fingerprints would be all over the files about Henley's family because it was highly likely that they saw the Dalievinpo family as a security risk. If the humans gained a leader that could match the vampire's king then there might be a chance that there could be an uprising.

When Jameson's picture appeared on the large screen, Henley perked up.

"I've seen him in the halfways. Several times, actually. He came to one of the meetings, I spoke to him afterward. He asked a lot of questions."

"About you?"

"Yeah."

The horrid truth was seeping to the surface. Henley could now see how dangerous this world was for him now. Someone had figured out who he was and created a lie just to get him terminated. If things were different, I would have killed him and walked away. Life altered and I did something that I shouldn't have. Maybe Henley had a guardian angel on his shoulder, taking care of him and steering him through the murky waters to safety.

"He asked how long I'd been in the Grove. When I said that I'd been there since my mother died, he asked more questions. I thought he was just being nice."

Henley sat down on the chair, looking a little confused and shaken up. Death had stalked him, walked right up to him and he didn't even realize it. In fact, it had happened twice because I could have been the death of him too.