Part 15

'What are you doing?' asked Aiden or someone whom I had mistaken to be Aiden as he saw me move my right index finger from side to side and following it with my eyes. Not that I knew what it meant but I had seen doctors do that all the time so it must have some significance.

'I am trying to see if my senses are working properly,' I said blinking fast before asking again 'Aiden?'

'Ya?' he asked quizzically.

He did really respond to me calling him Aiden so I was not suffering from a concussion. That really was Aiden! I think I just stared at him for an uncomfortable amount of time as he cleared his throat and turned his head around to look at my feet. Here I was in Aiden's arms but I did not have palpitations, but rather a calm and secure feeling just engulfed me. I knew I was making him uncomfortable so I said, 'I think my head is fine. You can let go off me.' His hand was still around my waist and I was sitting on the street.

'Umm... Its not your head but I think you may need my help to stand up and also to walk,' he said pointing at my ankle.

In determining if it really was Aiden, I had forgotten about the pain emitting from my right ankle. I looked down to see my swollen ankle and then the pain hit me. Aiden's presence had acted like a pain killer until now. I took out my hand from his and supporting myself with my palms I tried standing up but Aiden did not allow me do it on my own and helped me stand up.

'How are you feeling?' he asked still supporting me as I stood on one leg.

'I'm ok. Just need to get home.' I said trying to smile.

'Can I take you home?' he asked with visible concern in his voice.

I was standing with his help but was looking straight ahead of me, trying to avoid looking at him. A lot of emotions were running through my head and I did not want him to read my mind. So without looking at him I replied, 'No that's fine. I'll manage.'

'Where do you live? Can I call you a cab.'

'I live just a block away. I'll manage.' I tried to stand on my own with great difficulty.

'Eva, you are in pain. Let me walk you home,' he said firmly, supporting me by my arm.

I could not walk even a few steps without help so I really needed him or that is what I convinced myself. The truth was I did want him to walk me home.

Once we reached my apartment, he helped me to my bed. I tried sitting down on the sofa in the living room but it was uncomfortably low, so midway he decided to help me up and we walked to my room. Once I was comfortably sitting on my bed, he found an ice pack and a bag of peas for both my injuries.

'Thank you!' I said pressing the frozen bag of peas to my forehead. Aiden was sitting at the edge of the bed holding the ice pack pressed against my swollen ankle. Looking up he said, 'Since when did you get so formal with me?'

'I don't know how I would have managed if you wouldn't have been there.'

'Someone would have helped you,' he paused to shift the ice bag a little and then said, 'Use ice pack as often as possible for a day. It does not look serious but if the pain does not subside you may want to have it looked at.'

'Hmm... did you take medical classes or something?' I asked jokingly.

'No. All my medical experience comes from dealing with Justin.' He looked up sideways with a crooked smile.

I smiled looking at the sparkle in his eyes as he spoke about Justin.

'Do you remember how he had a fall when we went on our first date?'