Part 25

I strained my eyes but all I could see was Jenna's glimmering dress and a guy with a white shirt. I could barely make out the outline of the man she was with. Liam held my face in both his palms and looking into my eyes he said, 'Okay so now that your friend has a date, can we..'

'I can't see who that is.' I said my eyes wondering off in Jenna's direction while I placed my hands over his.

I suddenly had a very nasty thought dance around in my mind- was it Aiden? It could be since he asked for just one pass to the party. His height and build matched. I thought I was hyperventilating, but that was all just my imagination. Will Aiden do that to me? But why was this bothering me. I had a growing pit in my stomach. This should not be happening I thought. I had a boyfriend so I should not be bothered by what Aiden is up-to. But it did. I closed my eyes shut to shake off that ugly feeling. I let myself calm down a little and assured myself that even if it was Aiden I was going to be okay.

Slowly opening my eyes I realised that Liam had taken his hands off my face and had turned around to order a drink.

I decided not to check on Jenna again and turned around on my footstool to hold Liam's hand. He was resting his elbows on the bar counter in front of us. Reaching over, I laced my finger's in his. But his hands felt cold, the warmth was missing. I gave his hand a gentle squeeze and moved closer towards him. He silently continued to look away.

'Is everything okay?' I asked.

'Yep,' he replied nonchalantly.

'Okay,' I said but I knew something was wrong so I slowly caressed the back of his hand. But before I could say anything someone called over my shoulder to the bartender.

I turned around and there stood Jenna's date. He had his mask on but his trademark blond hair and his eyes gave him away. He looked at me and I saw a glimmer of recognition cross his eyes. I stared at him for a second, surprised that this was Jenna's date when Jenna joined us. Both of us took our masks off as Jenna said, 'Eva, this is..'

'Nick Mahony,' I said completing her sentence and looking at sparkling eyes of my old friend Nick, aka Oliver.

'Eva Sims,' he said as his smile broadened and he gave me a hug.

I was so glad that he was Jenna's date. We both smiled and looked at Jenna standing with a surprised look on her face.

'You two know each other?' she asked waving a finger at us.

'We went to high school together.' I said as I pulled at Liam's arm. 'Nick, this is my boyfriend Liam. Liam, this is Nick. We went to High school together.' I said introducing them.

As they shook hands, I grabbed the distraction to lean back and whisper into Jenna's ear, 'He's Oliver.'

Jenna's eyebrow's shot up with surprise as her eyes darted between me and Nick. Then her gaze studied him from head to toe. It was like getting to know a person you already know but have never met.

'Would you guys like to join us for a drink?' Nick asked as Jenna was done studying him and now had a (knowing) smile.

'No. I think I will call it a day,' said Liam as he stood up and picked up his jacket lying beside him.

I was taken by surprise but endorsing his statement I said, 'We'll leave now but you guys have a good time.'

Liam pulled me aside and said in what sounded like a low murmur, 'I'm leaving. You can stay if you like.'

There was an uneasy coldness in his manner. Looking straight into his eyes I said, 'No I want to go with you.'