Chapter Five

~Saturday 12th January 2013~

Malcolm hadn't had a very good week. Well, that was a bit of an exaggeration. It hadn't been all too horrible until Thursday and, of course, he was only able to dwell on the events of that day, ruining any decent memories he had had of earlier in the week. He was trying not to think about it, didn't want anything plaguing his mind to effect the court date he had later that day.

It was the first for Archer's case, and the mere thought of Eden darkened Malcolm's mood. He wasn't angry with Eden, he couldn't be, he didn't have any right, he was irritated by the situation that had occurred. This also meant he had been avoiding Reivon for the past few days, ignoring his calls and working from home as much as possible so there was no chance of bumping into the vampire.

He simply couldn't look him in the eye, couldn't act as though nothing had happened when what had occurred had stuck with him so deeply. He refused to discuss this with any of his friends as well, despite the pestering from Slate and Arian. Leon had been the only one to not mention it, hence why Malcolm had chosen to take the time to visit him that day.

"Malli!" one of the younger children, Kit, sprinted out of the building Malcolm had parked outside and down the drive toward the man. Immediately, Malcolm's mood shifted to something far brighter as he scooped the little girl into his arms, her melodic giggling managing to make him smile for the first time in three days.

"You know you're not supposed to run out onto the driveway, Kit," Malcolm chastised, sitting Kit on his hip whilst he collected the duffle bag from the back seat of his car, "you could get hurt."

"I'm quick, Malli, I won't get hurt," Kit beamed, resting her head on Malcolm's shoulder, "Tia was watching anyway, she let me," Malcolm's smile faltered when he noticed Tia stood in the main entrance, leaning in the doorway, that not-so-innocent smile on her lips.

"Le didn't mention that Tia would be here today," Malcolm muttered through gritted teeth, locking his car and walking up the driveway.

"You wouldn't have come if he had," Tia stepped to the side, allowing Malcolm to pass her, and closing the front door behind him.

"I certainly would have reevaluated my plans," Malcolm murmured, avoiding Tia's eye, choosing to walk straight into the kitchen and place the duffle bag on the countertop, "where is Le anyway?"

"Asleep in the living room with a couple of the younger kids," Tia sat at the island, her gaze never leaving Malcolm despite his never searching for hers, "he was reading to them one minute and flat out asleep the next, I took some pictures, it's pretty cute," Malcolm caught Tia's phone when she slid it across the counter, scrolling the pictures of Leon asleep on the couch with several children strewn over him also looking to be slumbering. His face betrayed him as he allowed a small smile to curve up the corners of his mouth, he simply couldn't suppress it, Leon and his kids always managed to brighten his mood.

Thirty years ago, when the SN community had stepped out of the shadows, Leon had taken a very different path to his friends. He had always had such a big heart, and took it upon himself to set up a community centre for the youth of the SN population. He had bought an old Georgian mansion, spent a few years renovating, and began to bring in the children.

Not all were permanent residents, some just came for the classes he taught, or to feel a part of something. However, there were a few children, some even young adults by present day, that had remained there since the start. Leon was only one man, but he put his heart and soul into that place, making it a safe haven for those SN children that really needed it.

Kit, for example, was abandoned by her biological parents for what she was. A hybrid, only half-demon, product of rape, unable to be raised by a fully human mother. She was found out in a back alley two decades ago by some good samaritan and was due to be put into the foster care system until Leon said he would have her.