Chapter Fourteen

~Friday 8th February 2013~

"Y'know my grandson just told us he's gay, he's a lovely boy, Eden, I'm sure you'd be a perfect match," Eden smiled at the elderly lady, continuing to wipe down the countertop. The diner got more than its fair share of older customers, and the majority of the regulars were aware of Eden's sexuality, often trying to set them up with grandsons or nephews, or a few brothers as well. It was harmless, Eden knew that, he found it quite amusing actually.

"I'm sure we would, Mrs Greaves, how old is he?" although Eden had never heard a particularly interesting description of any of the 'eligible bachelors' that his customers would attempt to set him up with, it was good conversation to simply entertain the idea.

"Eighteen," the elderly woman leant forward, lowering her voice, "he got bitten by a vampire recently," Eden chuckled at Mrs Greaves raised eyebrows as she returned to her position, knowing the woman simply had a thing for the dramatics, "his mother, my daughter, thinks they're going to run away together, she's trying to find him some reason to settle here," Eden nodded, putting his finger over his lips with a sly smirk as he refilled Mrs Greaves coffee mug. Although refills were free, Eden often didn't inform the elderly customers, always getting a smile from their blushes or teasing about him making them feel special.

"Well, I don't know many vampires but I think they like to stay close to their makers when they're newborn. I've heard it's a strong bond they have, maybe it'd be best if your daughter just let her son leave, he'll come back. His maker won't hold him captive like some prisoner, it isn't the dark ages anymore."

"I know that, Eden, but she won't listen to me. I had a friend once, a lovely man named Jameson, he was a vampire too. Not a very old one in comparison to some you hear about, but anyway, he was in love with his maker. She was a beautiful African woman, a born vampire from deep in the Congo rainforest. Of course, this was back before you all went public, so Jameson only really told me about it.

"They were engaged to be married, only drank from one another, even contemplated children. Being around them was refreshing, it almost made you feel youthful, the emotions you could feel emanating from them. I remember asking Jameson what he would do for her and he couldn't answer it. He couldn't answer the simplest question of all because there were too many things he could think.

"He would do more than kill for her, he would do more than die for her. He would do anything for her, and I thought that was beautiful. I would love that for Lukey, my grandson, I would give anything for him to have something like that and if he's going to leave with this maker of his, I'll pray for his happiness every day for the rest of my life," Eden smiled, a warm fuzzy feeling settling in his chest at Mrs Greaves open love for her grandson and his happiness.

"So what happened to Jameson and his maker? Did they get married and have kids?"

"I'm not sure, we lost touch somewhere down the line. I like to think that they did, they're in my prayers every night too, along with the rest of my family," Eden excused himself from his conversation with Mrs Greaves, walking over to a booth with a lone boy that had been seated a few moments ago.

"Good evening, could I get you anything to drink?" Eden's usual strained smile that he wore for work faltered ever so slightly when the boy looked up, a sudden unnerved feeling sweeping into the air.

"Do you have herbal tea?" the boy said in a soft voice, his bright blue, almost white, eyes meeting Eden's, shifting into a dark green then a murky hazel not dissimilar to his own. Eden fought to remain still and calm, having never seen anything like that happen before.

"Um, yeah. We have a few different fruits ones or we have chai and green. Y'know what, let me just go get you a list, we have one in the back for the deliveries," Eden stepped away quickly, nearly running into the back, stopped by Ryan along the way.