Part 10: 20 Questions

10

After dinner, they cleaned up the kitchen together, Xavier insisted. Louisa couldn't help but feel completely content with him by her side. What they were doing was so simple and innocent, but it filled her heart with happiness. They were completely aware of each other like they'd been doing this exact thing every day for their whole lives.

When they finished, Xavier pulled her to the couch, and they got comfy beside each other. The invisible barrier that she tried to keep up was dwindling and she didn't feel the need to put distance between them. Every small touch or hug throughout the day had only proven to provide comfort.

"Let's play 20 questions!" She blurted out, as much as Louisa had learned about Xavier's friends today, and about their home, she hadn't had a chance to really ask him about himself. But when he looked up at her with a smile the size of Texas on his face, she wanted to retract that statement immediately.

"No way, don't even try and back out now." He said as if he could read her mind. He didn't need to be able to read her mind, to see the regret on her face as soon as she said it.

"I meant to say let me ask you 20 questions, and you get a kiss in return." She looked at him mischievously and he shook his head.

"I can have a kiss questions or not, but if you get to ask me 20 questions I get to ask you the same." He said shrugging his shoulders and played with her hair as he awaited her answer.

"Fine." Her bottom lip puckered out and she hit him with a set of puppy dog eyes he wasn't prepared for.

"Now I know why John calls you pup." He grumbled, wanting to give in just to make her happy. But he wanted to know more about her, and she had offered up the perfect opportunity for that. He decided he wouldn't ask her anything that would make her uncomfortable, wanting to know the little things about her right now, what she liked and didn't like.

"Come on now, perk up, you can go first!" He smiled as he placed a kiss on her cheek, before grabbing her chin and placing a quick one on her lips. He settled back into the couch, as her pout was replaced by a smile.

"What's your favorite food?" She asked.

"Your ravioli," he smirked. She laughed and shook her head in disbelief, despite the warm feeling that spread all over her body.

"Yeah sure." She giggled, although she knew he was being completely serious, but she still tried to brush it off. "Your turn." Her eyes met his as she absentmindedly began playing with the fingers of the hand she was now holding.

"Favorite subject in school?" He asked.

"English," she chuckled.

"Right, right, of course, Ms. Author." He poked her side and she puffed out a laugh, shifting away from him.

"Favorite animal cracker?" She giggled, remembering when she had an argument with her youngest brother over which one was the best.

"I'm sorry, did you say animal cracker?" He clarified, trying to push down the laugh that threatened to come out.

"Yes, it's an important question and if you ever meet my brother Emerson, it's best you have an answer." She shrugged, smiling softly.

"Well, then I'd have to say the giraffe?" He said it more as a question because he couldn't remember what all the animals, we're in a bag of animal crackers.

"Sufficient." She grinned, shaking her head.

"Did you ever want to be anything other than a writer?" He questioned, remembering her asking him the same thing earlier that day.