Part 17: Your Mom Doesn't Like Me

17

Louisa was extremely nervous considering she was about to meet the people who raised the amazing man next to her. She squeezed his hand in her own again. "Are you sure I look okay?"

"You always look perfect, don't worry." He leaned down kissing her head just as the front door opened. "Hi, Dad."

"My boy, it's good to see you, and who is this lovely lady?" Xavier's father shook his son's hand and held out his hand for the young girl. "Roger Knight."

"Louisa sir, it's lovely to meet you." She blushed, looking away from his eyes. She shook his hand quickly and moved into Xavier's side shyly.

"Come in, come in." Roger waved his son and his girlfriend into his home. He was surprised when Xavier had called him up, telling him he had met a girl, he couldn't remember the last time his son had brought a woman around.

Louisa looked around as they were lead farther into the house. She smiled when she saw pictures of Xavier all over the hallway wall that lead into the living room. She glanced up at him only to find him already looking at her. "You were a cute kid," she whispered, poking his side.

Xavier chuckled and shook his head as he pulled her towards the couch, sitting down next to her. "How have you been Dad?" He looked over at his father and rolled his eyes when he saw the look he was giving them.

"I've been well, your mother and I just started taking a dance class every other weekend." Roger grinned.

"What type of dance?" Louisa asked shyly, elbowing Xavier in the side when he tried to hide his laughter with a cough.

"Salsa," A woman's voice startled Louisa and she narrowed her eyes at the young girl as she placed herself on her husband's knee.

"Oh, that's wonderful." Louisa ducked her head, her cheeks burning.

"Mom, this is Louisa, Louisa this is my mother Karen." Xavier introduced the two women, discreetly rubbing Louisa's back as she waved to his mother.

"Lovely to meet you, dear," Karen said, although her tone of voice was saying something different.

Roger narrowed his eyes at his wife and as if she felt him looking she sent a small genuine smile his way. He shook his head not saying anything before looking back at his son's girlfriend. "So, how did you two meet? Xavier wasn't able to tell us much, being so busy and all."

"We met in the town I live in, at a coffee shop. He spilled coffee on himself and I offered him napkins." Louisa rubbed her hands together nervously and blushed as she recounted the memory.

"How cute," Karen spewed with an extremely fake smile on her face.

Xavier frowned at his mother, wondering what had gotten into her. "It was actually, the first moment I saw her she took my breath away." He said, hoping to cover the disdain written all over his mother's face.

"You aren't from here?" Roger asked surprised.

"No sir, I live just across the border in Connecticut," Louisa explained.

"Well how nice, I haven't been over that way in a while. Do you know Sheriff Lionel? He's a good friend of mine." Roger smiled brightly before looking at his son in confusion as he discreetly shook his head.

Louisa clammed up immediately and silently prayed a hole would open up in the room and swallow her whole. "I do," she mumbled, not sure what else to say. The atmosphere had turned awkward very quickly and the silence was torture.

"Honey, why don't we go ahead and get started on dinner, yes?" Roger tried to brush over what just happened and smiled at his wife.

"Of course, follow me," Karen said as she stood from her husband's knee and walked towards the dining room.