22

"You ok?" Oliver asked later that night as he flipped the overhead bedroom light off and crawled onto the bed where I was laying, my mind off in its own little world.

"Huh?" I looked at him.

"I asked if you were ok?" His honey brown eyes watched me carefully.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I smiled at him.

"Are you still ok with me staying here?" He wanted to know.

"Of course." I reached up running my fingers through his dark hair.

He grinned at me, "Ok so if it's not me, it must be Chris that has you distracted."

"Distracted?" I repeated.

He nodded gently removing my hand from his hair and taking it in his. "I know you said you went on a date with him but I feel like there's more to the story. You tense up around him."

I sighed, "There was something between us." I admitted, "But when I left for Vancouver things were open. And then you happened. So I guess technically I chose you over him."

"Oh." Oliver leaned back against the bed frame, "Did something happen tonight?"

"Something like what?" My heart started to pound in my chest.

"I don't know." He turned looking at me, "Like I said you just seem very distracted."

"No, nothing happened tonight." I lied, "I was just a little irked that he showed up."

"Why?" Oliver questioned.

"He's obviously upset that I chose you. I don't want him causing problems between us."

"I'm not threatened by him, unless I need to be." He added.

"You don't." I moved swinging my leg across his lap to straddle him.

He smiled and slid his hands up my back. "I trust you."

I felt a pang of guilt, Oliver didn't deserve to be lied too but I couldn't bring myself to tell him the truth about Chris kissing me.

I forced a smile and lowered my mouth to his.

"What happened to your brother being hell bent on pretending I don't exist?" I practically screamed into the phone at Scott the next day as I drove into work.

"Huh?" Scott asked, "What happened?"

"He showed up at the pool hall last night where he knew I'd be."

"Wow that's a real dick move." Scott laughed.

"He kissed me Scott."

"No way. He did not. He told me he was dating Lia and wasn't worried about you."

I replayed what happened the evening before to Scott.

"Why do you care? Just avoid him."

"I tried, I can't when he shows up everywhere. Talk to him. Tell him to stay away."

Scott laughed, "You're cute."

"Scott!" I whined.

"Fine I'll say something to him. He won't listen. I'm honestly surprised he showed up at the pool hall though. I really thought he was going to try and make it work with Lia."

"Well kissing me is definitely not trying to make it work with his girlfriend."

"No kidding." I could practically hear him roll his eyes, "Just chill Harp I'll say something to him. That it wasn't cool."

"Thanks."

"Of course. But now tell me did you feel anything when you kissed him?"

"Goodbye Scott." I hung up the phone and tossed it into my passenger seat.

Oliver was having a business meeting with my dad that evening. I decided to go over to Casey's and tell her what had happened with Chris the night before.

Pulling onto her and Joe's street I almost wrecked the car. Chris's black Camaro was in their driveway.

I slammed my car into park and marched up to their front door. Not bothering to ring the doorbell or knock I let myself in. I heard voices from the back deck and headed that direction.

I stopped short when I saw Casey, Joe, Chris....and Lia.

I wanted to hide or disappear, but Casey saw me. She smiled and waved causing everyone to turn and look at me.

I couldn't run out now so I plastered a fake grin on my face and stepped out onto the back deck. "Hey."

"Hey!" Casey jumped up and hugged me. She knew I was pissed and whispered sorry in my ear.

"What's going on?" Joe looked at me.

"Just stopping by to see my bestie." I tried to not sound to sarcastic as I glared at Casey, "Didn't realize you were having a get together."

"It's just drinks Harp." Chris held his beer up. Lia looked confused.

"I see. Well I wasn't invited, clearly, so I'm going to excuse myself." I turned and pushed the screen door back open.

"Ah c'mon Harp!" Chris called after me, "Stay."

"No thanks." I gave him a 'you've got to be kidding me' look.

"I'll walk you out." Casey offered following behind me.

As soon as we were out of ear shot I turned on my so called best friend. "What the actual hell Case?"

"Sorry! Joe invited them over. I literally just got home from work."

I glanced down at what Casey had on and realized she was still in her scrubs.

"So Chris and Joe are Bff's now?" I crossed my arms. "And you and Lia?"

"Oh come on Harper." Casey laughed, "I'm sorry. You know I wouldn't dare dream to befriend the enemy."

I sighed with a roll of my eyes. "I know. Lia's honestly not even that bad. If she weren't dating Chris. Ugh! I cannot believe I Just admitted that out loud." I grabbed Casey by the arm and pulled her to the front door. "Chris kissed me last night."

"He did not!" Casey's jaw dropped.

"He did. And accused me of feeling something."

"Did you?" Casey asked.

"No....maybe. I don't know. Doesn't matter. I'm with Oliver he's with Lia. He had no business kissing me."

"Chris kissed you?"

Casey and I spun around to find Lia walking towards us from the kitchen, obviously overhearing everything I had just said.

"No. Not lately." I fumbled over my words.

"That's what you just said. He had no business kissing you."

"Lia." I shook my head. "It wasn't-"

"It's cool." Lia replied cooly. "Casey where's your bathroom?"

Casey pointed down the hall, "Second door on the right."

Lia nodded.

I looked at Casey as the bathroom door shut.

"Well shit. Now what?"