eight

BEING AT TONY'S FUNERAL,  I felt out of place

BEING AT TONY'S FUNERAL, I felt out of place. Being surrounded by people who knew him the longest while I only met him for a couple of hours truly showed the effect Tony has on people to bring together. It was touching how everyone was brought together by him.

I stood next to Groot and Rocket. Which made me smile when I officially saw them since the last time I did was when Thor took them to make his weapon.

Rocket turned to me and elbowed me to get my attention, "Quill mentioned to me that you want to find your actual parents."

I saw that people on the dock started to come back in. Glancing around I noticed that the Guardians were talking to other people at the funeral. I bit the inside of my cheek, "I was, but I changed my mind."

Rocket narrowed his eyes at me, "why?" Rocket paused, "you need to find your parents, Arielle."

I shook my head stubbornly and Rocket sighed seeing my head shake, "don't you want to meet your actual parents? Don't you want closure?" Rocket asked me once more

I was scared. I was scared that if I ever come face to face that they would hate the things that I have done or who I become.

I looked down at Rocket who gave me a piece of paper. "This is the address to your house. Gamora had this in her closet, but then Peter found it, then lost it again. But I found it during the snap."

I nodded at his words and looked at the paper. I started to feel weird knowing that my parents are out there either living normally or can't move on from what had happened. I looked up at the Guardians; feeling bittersweet knowing that I already found my family.

"We leave tomorrow. So you have time to at least decide what you are doing." Rocket told me, and started to walk away.

Letting Rocket's words sink in, I felt weight on my shoulders. I turned around and bumped into Peter.

We were flustered and quickly said 'I'm sorry' to each other.

I looked at him and noticed that he looked tired, restless, and not himself making me feel bad for him. I wanted to place my hand on his cheek to show him comfort, but I knew that we weren't there yet.

"I'm sorry, Peter. I know he meant a lot to you," I said truthfully.

Peter looked down at me and just wrapped his arms around me giving me a hug; causing me to hug him back. I hugged him not wanting to let go. I disliked seeing him in pain even though I only have known him for a couple of hours. It's a blessing and a curse that I care for people so easily. I pulled away from the hug, to look at his eyes again. His eyes were puffy, and swollen, making my heart shrink.

I looked down and decided that I needed to tell him the news that was just given to me a couple of seconds ago, "Peter I—"

"Hey Peter, we are going to start heading out now," A woman appeared next to Peter. She had long brown hair with brown eyes. She looked very young. The woman looked at me up and down and turned to Peter, "who's this?"

Peter cleared his throat, "May, this is my very good friend, Arielle. Arielle, this is my Aunt May."

May reached for me, giving me a hug making me start to smile on how loving she is. "Nice to meet you, Arielle," May started, "I would love to get to know you more. You should totally come over for dinner sometime. Right Peter?"

Hearing that made me look down to avoid eye contact from the Parker's. Looking up at them I took a breath, "I would love too, but I leave tomorrow."

I watched Peter's expressions change, making me feel guilty. May turned to Peter seeing his face fall hearing those words leave my mouth making her feel for Peter. May turned back to me and sighed, "It's okay, hun. Next time when you come to town. You are always welcomed." May turned to Peter, "I'll be in the car whenever you are ready, Pete."

Peter nodded at May's words, while I was hesitant to speak. There's no doubt how much I care for Peter, but we just met. We sat in complete silence, until Peter decided to break it.

"So were you going to tell me now or tomorrow when you were going to leave that you are going back to Space," He spat at me.

I was not expecting that comment making me twist my ring, "I was always going to tell you, Peter." I said truthfully.

Peter sighed hearing that, "why do you have to go? I thought we made a promise that you were going to stay here for a while."

"Peter, it's not that I don't want to stay. I realized that I'm not ready to take on a different side of myself. I have no idea where my sister is, and now that I somewhat have an idea of my powers. Everyone in the galaxy is going to want it. I can't have another threat come near Earth." I paused, "come near you."

"Then we will protect you, Arielle. You belong here with us."

I shook my head, "I don't think it works like that." I pulled a piece of hair back from my face as the wind blew towards us, "I'm not forever leaving you, Peter. I'm going to eventually come back."

"Then I'll wait for you."

"I don't want you to wait on me, Peter," I said truthfully. "I leave tomorrow before the sunrise."

Peter glanced at my lips and his eyes stayed there. I noticed that I took a step back, creating space between us. I barely met him. I wasn't going to do anything, let alone was about to kiss him. Though I care about him a lot it wouldn't be fair to him.

Peter scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "bye Arielle." He said, and walked towards May's car without allowing me to say anything else. Leaving me with crossing my arms I sighed seeing him drive away from me. Did I make a mistake?

"You know, you could just stay here."

I turned around and saw a tall muscular, blonde man coming towards me. He looked familiar though I knew he was from the battle. "Seems like you guys really care for each other," He continued to stand in front of me.

"We do, but it's complicated I think," I tell the blonde. "Plus, we literally just met," I joked but I knew deep down inside that I would care for Peter as much as Peter cared for me.

The blonde nodded at my answer, "if you leave the stronger you want to come back."

"But my powers—"

"They will have to go through a whole team to get through one of the Avengers."

"Avenger?"

"You're an Avenger, Arielle. Along with the name that the raccoon gave me."

"The Guardians of the Galaxy?"

The blonde nodded and sighed. "You know Wanda? Girl with strawberry hair?"

I nodded at his comment remembering her on the battlefield.

"You guys have similar powers. She can help you. We do not have a compound anymore, but you can always stay at Sam's since Sam will be traveling a bit."

"Sam?"

He nodded towards a man next to a metal arm. I glanced towards them to see a man with a metal arm bored out of his mind while Sam was explaining something. Seeing them made a small smile appear on my lips. Turning my attention back to the man in front of me, I sighed thinking about what he just said.

"Just think about it. I'll be there tomorrow when you guys leave to help Rocket."

I nodded, "what's your name again?"

"Steve. Steve Rogers."

We shook hands, and that evening I was faced with a huge choice that I thought I made up already.