nine

WALKING TOWARDS THE SHIP, I knew for so long it felt different

WALKING TOWARDS THE SHIP, I knew for so long it felt different. It felt foreign to me; and I didn't like that feeling inside me. I stopped walking to fully admire the ship that I called my home, it was bittersweet.

Mantis stopped walking and came up beside me. She looked at the ship then at me, "what's wrong, Arielle?"

I hesitated to tell her what was on my mind, "nothing. I haven't seen this ship in a while." I lied while not making eye contact with her.

Mantis slowly nodded at my answer and boarded the ship. Still staring at the ship, I took away my gaze when I felt a presence behind me. When I turned around it was Steve.

"Are you okay?" He asked me.

I looked down, "not really." I confessed, and ran my hand through my hair, "I just don't know what to do."

Steve sighed at my answer, "It's your choice, Arielle. It has to come from you."

I nodded at his statement. A part of me truly wants to just go back on the ship knowing that's where I am at my happiest. That's where I found my family, that's where I truly feel at home.

The other part of me wants to explore where I really came from, and get closure from my parents. I always have questions wondering if my parents would be proud of me, and now that question might be answered. However, I don't know if I was ready for my questions to be answered just yet.

I knew it should have been an easy answer to decide from the get go, but sometimes you have to be selfish. I just didn't know what side I had to be selfish too.

I looked up in the distance to see Peter walking over to me. I couldn't believe it; he came. This made me gain butterflies in my stomach all over again.

Steve noticed my expression changed then glanced towards Peter making him crack a smile, "go to him. I'll talk with Rocket."

I gave Steve a small smile and walked towards Peter. I started to twist my ring nervously. No one has come back from me, let alone a person I just met.

"You actually came," I said surprised when Peter was close enough to hear me.

"Of course, I did."

We stared at each other for a couple of seconds before Peter cleared his throat. "Can I hug you?"

I blinked a few times, and slowly nodded. I slipped in his arms while Peter wrapped his arms and placed his head in my shoulder. It was comforting; but I couldn't ignore the fact that I loved the feeling of being in his arms, and I wouldn't mind being stuck like this.

"How are you?" I asked him hoping he was doing better than what he was yesterday.

Peter sighed hearing that, making me know that he wasn't doing his best either. "I'm okay for now, you?"