Chapter 5

After her shower and a video call to Dick, both at different times, he inspired her to take the team out for a night of team-building fun. Planning on taking the whole team on a night out, she made everyone dress in their civilian clothes and crammed them all into the car. Kori drove, Raven sat in the passenger seat, and in the back were Damian, Y/n, and Jaime. Garfield took it upon himself to transform into a cat to lay on Y/n's lap. In doing so he got a handful of glares from the newest member as Y/n subconsciously scratched the cat's head. This only prompted Gar to purr whenever he earned a new stare or Y/n found a better angle to scratch at.

Damian accidentally hit Jaime in the face with the butt of his katana, the front of the case hitting Y/n in the shoulder.

"Dude, did you have to bring the sword?" Jaime asked as he pushed it out of his face.

Damian looked at him with a stern look, "Preparedness is a prerequisite for victory."

Kori looked back at the two who were bickering. "The gear stays in the car, Damian. Tonight we are to enjoy some mandatory fun."

Garfield jumped off her lap and quickly transformed back into his normal form, leaving Y/n and Damian alone in the car. Y/n glanced at Damian as he unwillingly put the sword to the side. "Hey," she called and he looked at her. She lifted up her bootcut jeans to reveal a small crossbow retracted in its slimmest form strapped to her calf. "Old habits die hard right?"

He looked down and back at her as she exited the car. Why would she show him that? To patronize him?

Oh. To sympathize with me.

The security at the carnival was adequate. Hell, someone managed to sneak in with an advanced weapon and didn't get caught. Y/n and Damian collected their entry ticket and met up with the rest of the team. Starfire wore her outfit from before, as did Damian, although now he had a red jacket and Jaime. Raven wore a corset style top with a short skirt and boots. Now her dark black angular bob was visible. Garfield wore his uniform, an orange and gray hoodie with a hat, to keep attention away from his green body. Y/n wore (dark/light) bootcut jeans with (shoe of your choice) and (top of your choice.)

"This is an opportunity for us to become more familiar with each other," Kori spoke over the loud upbeat music played from all directions. It made Y/n roll her eyes.

"How much more familiar can we get?" Jaime asked. "We've already seen Garfield lick himself."

"As a dog?" Damian asked. Y/n was about to reply when Raven beat her to it with an 'I wish".

The first thing Kori was excited about was the Ferris Wheel. Y/n had only gone on one before a year ago for William's birthday. Her family went to a carnival for his party. The seats sat two so the first pair was Jaime and Garfield, the two were whooping into the air and throwing their hands up in joy. In the seat above them were Raven and Damian. The two were sat upright, hands to their sides. They didn't speak. Both dark heads looked at the ground below, at each other, and back to the ground. Above them was a sulking Y/n, who rested her chin in her palm, her elbow resting on the pink safety bar. Kori sat beside her and smiled, pointing out sights.

Y/n was bored until she heard laughter from down below. She scooted over to the edge of the seat and leaned over to get a look at the two under her. It was Damian and Raven...smiling and laughing. Y/n quickly returned to her normal position as to not be caught. The h/c girl frowned and slumped into her seat with her arms crossed.

After the ride, the group moved to a small booth. It was a shooting game where the objective was to knock down outlines of ducks with plastic bbs. Garfield latched onto a gun and aimed, shooting down every one of his targets. Once he collected his tickets, he began to brag. Jaime rounded them over to a strength test, one where you had to hit the bell using a mallet. He spat into his hands and grabbed a hold of the large hammer. The scarab lite up and helped him break the scale.

Y/n got bored once more and walked away to find some food. She went to a funnel cake stand and ordered some of the sugary treats and sat down. She picked at her fried dessert with the white plastic fork given to her when she saw Raven and Damian again. They were separated from the group and were by the silly mirrors. Both of the teens were laughing at their reflections and play hitting one another. Y/n didn't notice what she was doing until she heard a snap and looked at her hands. The plastic fork was broken. She went to find another game, leaving her food at the table, not feeling very hungry anymore.

The rest of the team went to a ring tossing station. Raven picked up one ring at a time and landed them on every bottle. Damian was for an unknown reason, sad, but decided to play along. He picked up three rings in each hand and tossed them, not missing a single one.

Y/n looked over and saw them, trying to do what Damian had done but failing miserably. She walked around with her hands in her pockets until she stumbled across a game that had her name written all over it. She walked over to the small tent and placed her tokens on the counter. The man nodded and slide over a bow, along with a few arrows. They weren't in the best condition, but Y/n would make them work.

She drew the arrow back and aimed at her target. The goal was to pop different balloons located all over the corkboard. She hit the first five dead center and paid to play again. This time, other children were watching as she hit the next five. Y/n had only gone on one ride and didn't play any other games, so she figured she might as well spend all her tokens on a game she actually liked. Drawing again, she hit her next targets and the small crowd around her cheered.

"Wow Ms. you're so talented," a small girl with curly hair beamed. Her, assumably, parents stood a few feet back and smiled.

"Okay, bonus round," the booth man declared. Instead of putting up balloons to pop, he put up other arrows. He must have grown tired of one girl taking all the business and was trying to kick her out without making a scene. "Split all the arrows, you get tripled the prize." This time he handed over sharper arrows, capable of splitting wood. He looked at her and smirked, hoping she would back off, so he could rip other kids off and earn more money. Y/n bit her lip as she looked around. Once again, Damian and Raven caught her eye and she looked down.

Inhaling, Y/n took the sharper arrows. The man had the audience stand back and to the side, as she aimed, so they wouldn't get hurt. She took one breath and let go. The crowd gasped as it pierced the air and they cheered when they saw she had split the first arrow. Drawing again, Y/n kept hitting her targets and the crowd got even louder.

As Damian was handed his blue toy sword, a small girl approached him and Raven, admiring his possession. He extended his arm and gave the pig-tailed girl the toy. She smiled and thanked him and then ran to her parents. Damian looked at the family while Raven smiled slightly and looked at him.

Damian sat down at one of the tables, he had to throw away a plate of funnel cake and a broken fork, to drink from his plastic cup. Raven walked over to him and offered a piece of her bright pink cotton candy. She sat down beside him as he ate the sweet cloud.

"That tastes like pure sugar," he commented.

"Boy, were you up in those mountains a long time."

Damian looked away. Afraid she has offended him, she explained it was a joke. "I knew it was a joke. And if you knew me, you wouldn't waste your time trying."

"I guess neither of our lives are very funny," Raven looked away. "But I'll tell you something about yourself that not even you know. You may be insufferable, but in your heart, you are a kind and generous soul."

"And how would you know?" he squinted at her.

"Because," she pointed over at a booth he once saw very crowded. "If you weren't, you wouldn't be able to love her." Damian's eyes widen as he followed her finger. She was pointing at the stand where Y/n was. She was kneeling down beside a girl and was helping her aim a crappy bow. The girl let go and hit her target. She squealed and jumped, high fiving Y/n.

"How did you-"

"Empath," she looked at him. "Remember?"

Damian moved his attention from the witch beside him to the smiling archer far away.