Gone

Peggy's POV

       I watched as Olivia looked over towards Howard and I. Then, she let go. "No!" I screamed. I ran faster, harder than I ever had before. I dropped to my knees when I reached the edge.

       The man had moved away from the area and was most likely headed back to finish off everyone left. "Olivia!" I screamed. I felt someone crotch down beside me and rub my back.

       "Peggy." Howard said. I felt the person leave my side. "Olivia!" Howard called. There was silence for a second before he turned back. "She's hanging! She's still here!" I gasped and looked up at him. He nodded and pointed down. I stuck my head off the side, sure enough hanging from a branch was Olivia. "Olivia hang on sweetheart! We're coming for you." Howard yelled as everyone reached us.

       "Agent Carter." Colonel Phillips said making me turn towards him. "Keep her talking. Make sure she knows your here and she's gonna be okay."

       I nodded and stuck my head down over the edge. "Olivia," I called. "can you hear me sweety?" I could almost see the realization in her eyes as she heard my voice. She seemed so close to me, as if though I could reach a hand down and pull her up. "Talk to me honey."

       "Mom. I can't hold on for much longer." She whimpered. I could see her blood stained shoulder and swollen wrist from where I was. She was in pain, you could tell. The boys picked up my feet and told me to grab her tightly.

       "It's okay." I said as they began to push me down. I trusted them not to drop me, but did I trust myself enough not to drop her...

       Once I was down far enough, she reached up one of her hands. Missing, she tightened her grip on the branch. "It's okay sweety. Try again." I encouraged. She did and got closer, but still missed by a bit. "One more. Your almost there."

       She took a deep breath and threw her hand up, I immediately grabbed onto her, and held on as tight as I could. "I gotcha. Pull me up!" I shouted at them. They began moving us up the wall of ice and I smiled softly at Olivia, whispering words of comfort to her. She kept her eyes on mine as we were lifted. Until I heard a snap. It was loud and I knew where it had come from.

       Olivia squirmed a bit and then let go of my hand. My heart stopped. "No!" I yelled. They pulled me all the way up and my tears turned back into hard sobs. I watched as she mouthed an 'I love you." and then Howard pulled me from the edge. He pulled me away and wrapped me in his arms. I cried harder as everyone backed away from the edge. I could feel his tears running onto my shoulder as he hugged me to his chest.

       "It's gonna be okay. It'll be okay, Peg." He whispered to me. I could sense everyone else around me. Kneeling or standing. I lifted my head and pushed Howard away. I stood and made my way to the edge. I fell to the ground looking down. There was a large hole below from where she'd made impact.

       "Peggy." Howard whispered. He laid a hand on my shoulder and I pushed it off.

       "She's gone." I said quietly. "And it's all my fault."

       Howard wrapped me in his arms once again. "It's not your fault." After a few hours or so of sitting near the edge and just crying, they pulled me into one of the cars. All the Hydra agents had evacuated as soon as our attack started.

       I cried the whole way home, and all through the night.

2 Weeks Later

       "Come on Peg." Howard whispered to me, sliding the bowl of porridge in front of me again. I pushed it away and laid my head in my hands. I heard him sigh and pull out the chair beside me. "You need to eat. You haven't eaten since before Liv went missing."