File Found

2 weeks later

Steve's POV

"Rogers, mission call." I heard an agent say as I walked into S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters. 

       "Ok, thanks." I mumbled continuing my ascent to the directors office. It's been a couple days since I last visited her grave. I thought to myself. Maybe I ought to take some fresh flowers over. Yeah; I'll go get some for her this weekend.

I exited the elevator leaving all un-work related thoughts there to descend with the boarding staff. I made my way past the reception desk and headed towards Director Fury's office. Once there all I could do was wait, wait as the three shadows inside the room circled around one another. Must be some kind of briefing.

I could really hear the topic of conversation, however the shouting was very easy to make out through the thin wall. "She's petrified. He doesn't know she exists! Her mother is dying! And worst of all you are with-holding information from both of them!" A taut voice yelled.

"Agent Barton." The voices turned back to hushed talking before another ringing voice piped in.

"She's 11 sir. I don't think we can keep this up for much long, I mean her birthday is in less than a month. Don't you think it would be nice for her to spend it with her father instead of a family you assigned to look after her!?"

"I thought she liked it with your family Agent. I haven't heard any direct complaints. If she wanted to met him she would be in here telling me herself." The directors voice followed matching the females orotund tone.

"I think you forget; she is still 11 years old. Body and mind no matter how old she is technically."

"I don't wanna hear another word of this!" Fury said. Footsteps were heard making their way to the door before it swung open. "Get suited up, both of you." There were grumbles from the two others before a man and women walked out side by side. "Captain." Fury said as they passed.

I stepped into his office and he walked over to the desk, pulling out a small file before handing it to me. "An old Hydra base that just popped up on our radar." I opened the folder and the only information inside was a location. "We don't know if it's still active or abandoned but from the looks of the satellite scans, it's pretty big." He explained. "I want you to lead a team in and see what you can find."

"And if there are soldiers there?" I questioned before standing up.

He smirked slightly. "Take them out. Collect any and all information. Computer files, Disk files, records. Anything. Got it?"

"Yes sir." I said heading for the door.

"Rogers, One last thing." He said as I was reaching for the handle. I turned to him before he gave me a look of sympathy. "Come see me when you return, I think there's something you should know about."

I gave a confused look. Something I should know about? There's more I don't know? Great... "Of course." With that I left the room. Following an agent down into a large locker room.

"One of the agents going with you will be in to collect you when your ready." He explained showing me to one of the larger lockers. "Your suit, shield and anything you will need are located in here. Take off is in 10 minutes." With that he turned and left the room, leaving me to prep and change.

After gearing up and making sure I had everything the main door swung open and a man walked in. His eyes met mine before he headed towards me. "Sorry Captain Rogers. Just grabbing a couple more things for our mission." He stopped at a locker just a couple down from me.

"No problem." I said shutting the locker and adjusting the shield attached to my forearm. The man strapped several different types of weapons to himself before pulling out a quiver full of arrows alongside a black bow. Closing the locker shortly afterwards, he turned to me.

"You ready, planes about to take off." He addressed me. I nodded and followed closely behind him. We boarded the plane and everyone strapped in. Once in the air, the strike team briefed me on what they had planned out for the mission. When they'd finished I sat back down in the main hub and noticed the agent from the locker room talking to a red haired women.

They looked really enraptured in their conversation. Both going between looks of anger and sadness. "10 minutes out Cap." One of the other agents calls from behind me.

Everyone gathers their stuff and gears up with anything and everything possibly needed. Once we're landed I split the team up; one team heading in first, lead by me. And another team to search the ground and try to find another way in.

We headed towards the main doors. Strange. I thought as we approached. No gunfire, No men outside the doors, no nothing. We continued out route to the doors and busted through them. No one. We split and began searching the building. Everything was still intact. Beds made, tables set, everything was in place.

"Cap. No hostiles, no hostages. What are our orders?" The strike commander questioned.

"Start collecting information. Find out what this building was used for and who or what was here." With that the other group slowly started to appear from one of the hallways and joined the rest of the men and women. I split everyone into smaller groups and started assigning people areas.

I took the basement with then man and women who were conversating on the plane earlier. We made our way down, trying to avoid any unnecessary wrong turns or staircases. It was only when we reached the bottom did we split up.

Everything was going swimmingly, nothing really being found. But I heard the sound of some metal hitting the floor and then the women's voice call out. "Hey Cap. I think I found something."

She was standing inside a separate room, filled top to bottom with dozens of filing cabinets. I wandered in looking up and down at the dust covered room. Stopping at one with a handle missing I gently pulled the drawer open and looked over the contents.

"Should we call everyone else and start moving stuff up?" The man questioned, peeking out from another one of the cabinets.

"Yeah go ahead. Tell them to bring the jet in closer." I said as one of the folders caught my eye. It was titled with the name Carter on it. I pulled it out and open it. Inside were dozens of blurry photos, along with a RCA (kinescope recording). In the photos you could see a blonde girl, who couldn't have been older than 10, tied to a metal table. In others there was a brunette man with a missing left arm.

I flipped one of the pictures of the girl over and found some smudged handwriting.

Olivia Sarah Carter-Rogers

May 16, 1959

Olivia!? I dropped the picture and picked up another. It had the same information as the last. What the hell were they doing to her!? Why is she strapped to a table!? Once I had gotten through all the pictures I turned to the small collection of information in the file.

Subject #23

Injections completed, testing in progress. Extra strength and speed sue to genetic build up of pre-existing serum.

What do they mean injections? They were doing experiments on her!? My thoughts were interrupted by a hand on my shoulder. "Captain Rogers?" I turned to face the redheaded women who stood with a look of concern on her face. "Are you alright? You've been standing there for a while now."

I cleared my throat before looking back down at the file. "Yes, I'm fine. Let's continue with the extraction." She nodded before heading for the door. I took one last look at the file, before positioning it to sit between my arm and shield.

Why would Hydra want Olivia? Did she carry my super-solider genetics? Did they give her a version of the serum? Why is this information here if she died in Russia?

Word Count: 1392 Words