praise

My feet thumped hard and steady against the forest floor as I ran. Ragged breaths escaped my mouth as the low hanging tree branches scratched at my face and arms. I could hear the groaning coming from all directions now and to make matters worse, I could see the herd of deados slowly closing in around me through my pereferal vision.

I shouldn't have gone through the forest, of course there would be a damn herd hiding in here. Just my fucking luck.

Suddenly, I reached the edge of the treeline and out of nowhere the ground disappeared beneath me. I tucked my hands around my head as I rolled head first down the embankment, small sticks and stones pelting my body as I came to a sharp stop at the bottom. I gathered myself as quickly as possible and stood up. Through blurry vision I looked up at the embankment and to my horror saw a swarm of deados right at the edge. Just as they started to fall down the drop, I began to run again.

I barely got ten steps before I saw a herd right in front of me. The fuck am I supposed to do now? I might as well lay my sorry ass down and offer myself up as an antre because there was no way I was going to make it out of this alive.

I let out a loud groan and threw my head up at the sky. Quickly the cogs turned in my head and I had an idea. I gripped the bark of the tree and managed to hoist myself up just as one of the deados reached the bottom. I looked down at the crowd of monsters clawing at the tree and sneered. I didn't survive almost four years of this shit just to become food for those walking maggot hotels.

Realising I was going to be here for a while, I adjusted my position and leant against the back of the tree. As the sun began to set and the walkers began to trickle away, my eyelids started to close.

It was dark when I awoke with a jolt. I clung to the tree branch as I scanned my eyes around the ground. Suddenly another gun shot went off and I jumped again. What dumbass was shooting at night when sound travels farther, did they want to get eaten?

I hadn't seen another living person in so long, so with curiosity getting the better of me, I climb down the tree.

Like a lunatic, I ran towards the sound as another gunshot went off. My breath cought in my throat as I got to a clearing and saw two men back to back fighting a large group of deados.

The one who had the gun was putting another bullet in his pistol and the other man was reloading his crossbow as the monsters got closer. I pulled out my pocket knife from my hip holder and ran up behind the deados, stabbing one after the other in the head. The two men didn't seem to notice me until the last creature fell to the ground.

I holstered my knife and turned around to the men only to be met with the barrel of a gun. I stared down the barrel of his gun and then turned my attention to his face. I looked between the guy with the crossbow and the guy with the gun

"You really going to shoot me after I helped your sorry asses out?"

The guy with the crossbow huffed. "We didn't need it."

"Right," I glared, "not what it looked like to me."

The man with the gun slowly lowered it to his side, although he never took his hand off the trigger. "We appreciate it," He nodded as he looked at the guy with the crossbow then back to me, "I'm Rick and that's Daryl."

"Bell." I stuck out my hand and he holstered his gun before shaking it.

"You got a group?" Daryl asked in his gruff voice.

"No, it's just me." I shuddered at the thought of my last group as their screams echoed in my ears.
Daryl nodded before looking at Rick.

"We have one," Rick said cautiously, "you're welcome to join us, it's the least we can offer. But first I have to ask you some questions."

I shrugged, "What do you want to know?"

Daryl walked over and stood beside Rick, his eyes never leaving my face.

"How many walkers you killed?" Rick sniffed.

I looked at the ground, pointing my finger at each 'walker' and teasingly began to count. A small smirk appeared on Daryl's face before disappearing again. "Kidding, sorry," I smiled when I noticed Rick's frown, "I've lost count."

"Alright, how many people have you killed?"

This one took me by surprise. I didn't have a joke for this one. "Three." I said slowly.

Rick nodded at me before tilting his head. "Why?"

"Because I had to." My eyes found their way to the floor before I looked back up at Rick.

He looked at Daryl and then looked at me. "We're held up in a prison about a mile away from here, you're welcome to follow."

I nodded at the two men. "Thank you."

Idk what this is but whatever