Selfish

Timeskip - 3 Months

Yang's POV

It's been three months since we started Beacon Academy. Made lots of friends, met a lot of new people, and had fun. We were all in Professor Ports class listening to him ramble.

Port: "Which one of you here thinks they have the makings of a true Huntsman?" (Y/N) raised his hand.

(Y/N): "I do." Professor Port motioned him to the front of the class. (Y/N) already had Huǒyàn attached to his side.

Port: "We'll see about that young man." Port walked over to the cage and rested his hand against the deadbolt. "Ready?"

(Y/N) nodded his head and the cage opened. A Boratusk ran out and spotted him. It charged recklessly at (Y/N) which was a mistake. He side stepped the Grimm and effortlessly sliced its head off.

(Y/N): "Done." Huǒyàn was replaced on his side and he sat back down. A small sigh escaped my lips. He always uses his weapon. We haven't seen him use his Sembelance once. Every time he fights I hope to see it, but he never does.

I tried asking him about it, but he either ignored the question or dodged it. Did something happen in his past? Why doesn't he wanna talk about it? I'm his closest friend and yet he hasn't told me anything.

The bell rang signaling the end of the school day. We got up from our seat and headed back to our dorm. We entered it and took turns changing in the bathroom.

(Y/N): "I'm going to the training room." He wore a pair of cargo shorts and a (F/C) t-shirt.

Yang: "I'll come with you. Need to get my exercise in." I grabbed a couple of towels, some sports drinks, and placed them in my backpack next to my bed.

Ruby: "Have fun!!" Ruby flopped onto her bed and played on her scroll. I grabbed my bag and put it on my back. (Y/N) and I left the dorm and quickly made our way to the training room. There were a few students training.

(Y/N): "Lets get our stretching out of the way." I nodded and we got into our routine. 20 Sit-Ups, 20 Push-ups, and 20 Jumping-Jacks. When we were finished I placed my bag next to the bench and walked to the punching bag.

Yang: "Come hold the punching bag for me." He got behind it and I took my stance. I landed blow after blow on the bag. My stamina held up for a few minutes before stopping to catch my breath.

I grabbed a drink my my bag and chugged it. Sweat was rolling down my brow. Now it's his turn.

(Y/N): "Hold it tight." The bag laid against my body and (Y/N) began his assault. His kicks and punches had some power to them so it was kinda hard to keep it in place. He gave it one final kick and it sent me to the ground.

Yang: "Ow!!" I landed flat on my butt and it stung for a second. (Y/N) rushed up to me and extended his hand.

(Y/N): "Sorry Yang." He pulled he up and I dusted myself off.

Yang: "It's alright, but you don't usually hit that hard. Is something wrong?"  He let a small sigh escape his lips. His feet carried him to the bench and he grabbed a drink from my bag. Everyone else left at this point which left us alone.

(Y/N): "Yeah, a few things." I sat down next to him. The smile he usually wore was replaced with a stoic expression. My hand rested on his shoulder and he looked at me.

Yang: "If it makes you more comfortable then we can trade secrets." He looked at me with a puzzled and worried look. "I trust you."

(Y/N): "I'm honored Yang, but what I did was unforgivable." I didn't like seeing him like this.

Yang: "When I was a kid my mother left me. I don't know why she did it. It left my father heartbroken. Then Summer came into the picture and had Ruby. She was a super mom." I still remember it like it was yesterday. "I overheard my family talking about a sighting of my mother and I wanted to find her. So I placed Ruby in a wagon and took off into the forest. We were lost and being chased by Grimm. I would have gotten both of us killed that day if my Uncle Qrow didn't save us. We all have our dark secrets."

(Y/N): "Both of my parents were murdered." This came as a shock to me. I didn't know at all. "And I was the one who killed them."

Yang: "What?!" My world was completely rocked by this revelation.

(Y/N): "My Sembelance is a hereditary one called Scared Flame. It was passed down by my father. I couldn't control it and our house ended up catching on fire. Both of them died because of me. Because of a stupid mistake." Tears were forming in his eyes at this point. He held his head in his hands.

Yang: "Is that why you don't use it?" He nodded.

(Y/N): "When I use it the people I care for get hurt or end up dead. I vowed that day to never use it again. No matter what." He looked defeated, but yet I could feel something boiling inside me. It made me angry.

Yang: "That's just selfish." My hands covered my mouth when the words left. My eyes widened and he grew angry. "That's not what I meant to say (Y/N)!!"

(Y/N): "Selfish!!! How am I being selfish by preventing people from getting hurt by me?!?" He was on his feet at this point. "How Yang?!?"

Yang: "That's not what I meant!!" He ignored my plea and walked out of the room. Why did you have to say that Yang? I needed to explain to him what I meant to say. I don't know where he could have gone, but I know where he will be tonight.

Timeskip - Nighttime

(Y/N)'s POV

The crisp cool air blew against me. My arms rested against the roof railing. I was still annoyed from earlier. How could she say that? I'm trying to protect the people around me.

Yang: "(Y/N)." I turned to see Yang a few feet away from me. She had a worried look plastered across her face.

(Y/N): "What do you want?" I turned around and stared at the forest in the distance.

Yang: " I want to explain myself. Please hear me out (Y/N)." No matter how much I want to turn her away, I knew I couldn't. My heart wouldn't let me.

(Y/N): "I'm listening." I turned around to she her smiling. She walked up to me and stood next to me.

Yang: "I didn't mean to say it that harshly. You have a power that is able to do so many good things in this world, yet you choose not to use it. What happened to your parents was tragic, but it was an accident." She placed her hand against my cheek in a comforting matter. "We all came to this school to learn so we can protect. To give it our all and protect those who can't protect themselves. You should as well."

(Y/N): "I know Yang, but I swore never to use it again. I'll be a Huntsman without it." I took her hand in mine and gave it a soft squeeze. Her hand left mine and I laid against the railing. "You're forgiven Yang, but I need to be alone for now."

Yang: "I understand." Her feet grew farther and farther away from me and a sighed escaped my lips. Hurried footsteps echoed from behind me and I felt her against my back. Her arms wrapped around me tightly. "Goodnight."

She let go and ran off. What was this feeling in my chest? It was hot yet soothing at the same time. I turned to see nobody behind me.

(Y/N): "Goodnight." A small smile graced my lips.

Thank you all for reading. I hope you enjoyed and I hope to see you in the next chapter.