Chapter Nine

I added a picture of Alec Hopkins as Snape. I casted him as Snape because when I watched the movie, I was like "omg yes perfect".

I was considering putting Lily in this chapter, but I like the dynamic between just the friends and then the parts with Snape and Sirius that have been in the story so far. I think it allows you guys to focus on the fact that even though I'm writing in third person, it is from Sirius' POV. While he's probably talked to Lily with James and he's fond of her, he's never really thought of it as important in the grand scheme of things. That may change in the next few chapters, but we'll see.

Thanks for reading guys, it means a lot to me. If you could take the time to leave a comment on the story and vote that would mean so much to me!

Always,
Brielle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had taken Sirius a week to think over his options. He had tried, on numerous occasions, to follow Dumbledore's advice and ask James for help, but he lacked the courage it took to ask that much of his friend. Especially with their meagerly interactions as of late.

He and James were still friendly, but as Sirius got closer to Remus, he felt himself drifting away from the other, and he wasn't sure how much he liked that. James used to be the person he could tell everything to, no matter how embarrassing or personal. Now James didn't even know that he didn't like girls. Of course he loved being close to Remus in this way - as badly as he wished it was more than just a friendship - but he missed the lack of awkward space between him and his spectacled companion.

Of course, there was also the question of how to phrase the question. He wasn't planning on revealing his secret to James, but he saw no other reason to explain why his parents had kicked him out (which was the most surprising thing, taking into consideration the horrible ways in which they had treated him in the past).

He sat down at breakfast trembling. He had to ask today, before it got to be too late; before their relationship was ruined even more. James was telling Remus about the texture of Lily's hair and the way her eyes glimmered in a different way every time he leaned in to kiss her. Peter had a dreamy look on his face, as if he wished he could have that; possibly with James going off of the way he hung on his every word.

Sirius was on edge and he had heard too much about Lily in the past few weeks. He couldn't remember the last time James had uttered a sentence that didn't relate to her, as if she was the only person in the world. As if she was the only one that mattered anymore.
He snapped at James, "Merlin's beard, James, tell us more about Lily, why don't you?"

There was silence in the group of friends. Although the rest of the students in the hall continued to chatter about tests and teachers and their own affairs, there was an uneasy silence around them that seemed to block out all of the background noise.

James frowned, clearly mad at his friend, "I apologize for talking about something that makes me happy."

Sirius knew he should have stopped then, but he couldn't. He wasn't mad at James, he just didn't understand why he was being so oblivious to everyone else's problems. Did he not notice how he and Remus were hurting? Without thinking about the consequences, Sirius said, "I'm sorry for not realizing that this girl is the only thing that makes you happy anymore, and should in conjunction make the rest of us happy."

"What the hell is wrong with you, Sirius? Do you think you're better that the rest of us Marauders? I didn't realize that your head could get any bigger," James sneered, raising his voice, drawing the attention of a few students sitting close to the group.

"James, can you not do this?" Remus pleaded quietly, trying to calm him down.

James scowled at him, "What are you, then? Is it your job to defend Sirius now? Are you two, like, a thing?"