IX

Dear Leanne,

Dear Leanne,

I have so much to say, things that I can't put into words, of how much I love you and how much I will miss you. My brother, Niklaus, has once again managed to get himself in the middle of a war, possibly losing the only thing that could save his soul.

And therefore I have to leave, to protect the one thing I value most, my family. If anyone can understand that, it's you. Your compassion is a gift, carry it with you.

Forgive me. I give you my word, that I will return as soon as I can. And that in no time at all, I will be there again to hold you in my arms. So that we can laugh at the ever changing course of life and at my brother's significant talent for being the cause of that change.

Always and Forever,

Elijah

Her breath hitched in her throat as she looked up from the letter that had been placed on her bed, her fingers clinging to the paper as if her life depended on it.

'You alright?' asked a confused Jacques, still standing in the doorframe as he waited for her to get her coat.

'Yes, fine,' she assured him with a smile, 'Elijah will be gone for awhile, but he'll be back soon enough.'

'Okay.'

She put the letter on her nightstand and took her coat from the chair it had been thrown carelessly upon, a soft sigh escaping her lips, 'Up to the cinema then.'

Jacques cheered and ran down the stairs, making Leah laugh as she tried to keep up. Elijah would be back soon enough and they'd go to the cinema with all three of them, she told herself. It wouldn't be long. He was the noble one, he'd never break his word.

And as a whisper she repeated to herself, closing her eyes, 'He'll be back soon.'