Epilogue

Leah was fiddling with her fingers as she watched Elijah drive, 'Distract me.'

He smiled, 'Well, Niklaus informed me that he's been keeping in touch with a certain redheaded friend of yours.'

'No way!' Jacques exclaimed excitedly, apparently not listening to his music as intensely as they thought he had been.

'Oh god,' she whispered as she rubbed her forehead, fighting the headache this news would bring, 'I knew her taste in men was... questionable, but your brother? Really?'

Elijah started laughing, 'Don't worry, he's not interested in her that way. She's been a good friend to him. She actually suggested he join us, so he could see Miss Caroline Forbes again, but I believed it to be best if we went alone first.'

'Thank you.'

He nodded and glanced through the rearview mirror, 'It's your turn now Jacques, distract your mother.'

She smiled softly at the word which had only been rarely used a month ago, but was now a common thing. She'd never thought of herself as a mother, perhaps because she never really had one. The word father was also a common one now, as Elijah had taken the role upon him. Their new titles hadn't made it any easier to raise Jacques though, especially not now that he had two uncles trying to turn him into a delinquent and two aunts spoiling him rotten.

'Kol has been teaching me all sorts of things about magic.'

Leah frowned and shot a concerned glance at Elijah, 'But you can't actually do anything with it, because you don't have magic. Right?'

'Well, no, but there's still tons of stuff you can do. There's a lot of objects that have magic in them already and you can-'

'Sorry to interrupt, Jacques, but we're here.'

Leah had dreamt of this day for her entire life, yet she hadn't been able to sleep last night. She bit her lip and watched as Elijah got out of the car and walked over to open her door. Her hand trembled inside his as she followed him to the door of the house. Somewhere in the distance she could hear Jacques get out and slam the car door just a little to excitedly.

Elijah wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her close, as she rang the doorbell. Every second that passed felt like an hour. And her heart started racing as she heard the door open.

The girl in the opening did indeed look like her, not to the point in which they were indistinguishable but, enough to make one look twice. 'Elijah, what are you doing here?' she asked as her gaze moved towards her, 'Kath...' she hesitated and frowned, 'Who's this?'

'Hello Elena,' Elijah responded, 'I know you can't be thrilled to see me here, after all the trouble my family has caused you. But I'd like to introduce you to Leanne Petrova, your twin sister.'

Elena gasped and a man with raven black hair was by her side in an instant, glancing at Leah, 'That's impossible...'

'It's true,' Leah whispered, clutching unto Elijah like her life depended on it, 'My adoption papers state that Isobel is my mother, whom I believe is yours too.'

A tear trickled down Elena's cheek as she turned to the man beside her, 'Oh my god... Damon, I-' a sob escaped her lips, 'I have a sister.'

And Leah did not yet know, how much that meant to the girl who'd lost every family member she'd ever had. And she did not yet know how Elena would assure her the same day, that even though they hadn't seen each other since brith, she'd be family just the same. And that somewhere out there, the rest of the family, those that had passed, would feel the same.

This didn't mean that all her wounds were suddenly healed, it didn't wash away the past, but it launched her into a future she never thought she'd have.

With that, she thought back happily to Odile, whom was now happily reunited with Juliette. Explaining her motives to the Mikaelsons hadn't been easy, but she knew that in the end, she'd do it all over again.  

Because love, whether it be that of romance, friendship or family, love, would always persevere. Whichever language you profess it in and whomever you share it with.