XVI

Jacques' knuckles touched the wooden door of the Mikaelson Compound, knocking and knocking, for so long that many would consider it rude and disruptive

Jacques' knuckles touched the wooden door of the Mikaelson Compound, knocking and knocking, for so long that many would consider it rude and disruptive. But he didn't care about his attitude towards the man he thought would open the door, so he didn't listen to Daniel's and Natalie's warnings.

The door flew open, revealing a distressed brunette woman with a baby on her arm, 'What do you want?'

Unsure of what to think, Jacques swallowed the lump in his throat, 'I'm looking for Elijah Mikaelson.'

The woman's eyes narrowed as she eyed him and his company up and down, 'Who are you?'

'I'm Jacques and these are Daniel and Natalie,' he answered quickly, 'I really need to talk to Elijah.'

Something in the woman's expression suddenly softened, 'Elijah's not here right now, but you can wait inside until he returns.'

Jacques smiled and thanked her, following her inside the grand mansion that reminded him a lot of his own home in Paris. The entire place screamed extravagance and wealth, perhaps that was a Mikaelson thing.

The three of them followed the brunette with baby to the living room, where they all sat down on the couch, silence falling upon them. The brunette sat across from them, on one of the big chairs, her baby in her arms, questions raging through her head.

'I didn't hear the French accent until you said your names, tell me, where are you from?' she asked innocently as her baby tugged at her brown locks.

'Paris,' Jacques paused, 'Who are you?'

'Hayley.'

A frown appeared on his face as he straightened his back and leaned forward, Elijah had never mentioned a Hayley before. He'd talked about his sister Rebekah, his mother Esther and some of his past loves, but never of a woman named Hayley. He was sure of it. A shiver ran down his spine as he looked at the brunette once again, she was pretty, it had been a very long time since Elijah had left. A sudden thought took a hold of his mind, rage filling him. Perhaps this was his new girlfriend.

And clearly, he wasn't the only one thinking that, because Natalie sneered almost immediately, 'Is the baby Elijah's?'

Hayley's eyes widened, 'Oh, no. The baby is not his, it's his brother's.'

It felt like a weight was lifted of Jacques' shoulders as he heard her words and he slowly leaned back into the couch. Out of sudden a person appeared from behind Hayley, walking inside the living room. 'The baby is mine indeed, now who the hell are you?'

He hadn't actually thought about how to answer that question, clearly Elijah had never told his brother and Hayley about them. So would they believe him if he told them the truth? But what else was there to tell? They were vampires and they'd hear his heartbeat change if he told a lie, he'd learned that one the hard way.