X

The city of love was to many just that, the city where you proposed and shot beautiful wedding pictures in front of the Eiffel Tower

The city of love was to many just that, the city where you proposed and shot beautiful wedding pictures in front of the Eiffel Tower. Some said that Italian was the language of love and charm, but most agreed that French still stood tall as the language of romance.

The streets of this loving city were therefore also filled with happy couples, holding hands, kissing or sometimes just laughing. It used to bring Leah joy, to watch them emerged in blissful happiness, hoping that she'd find that one day too.

But for roughly a year, all she felt was a relentless sting in her heart as she watched others smile, overjoyed with the company of those they adored. It would probably have been easier had she not believed in love, found comfort in the grim thought that one day, these lovers would tragically break apart too and awaken from their dream of perfection.

But she did believe in love, very much so. Perhaps it hurt the most that she'd never gotten answers to her so many questions. The ones that haunted her every hour of the night, once she'd finally slowed down and was not able to escape her restless mind.

Her eyes rested in a lazy daze on the window's view of Paris' streets, her body moving on the rotating chairs that stood behind every teachers' desk. A stack of English tests was piled up in front of her, a weak smile on her lips as her fingers played with the test she cared most for.

A red sixteen scribbled next to the name Jacques and she couldn't help but be extremely proud, it was hard to believe how much his English had improved in the last years, but then again, she hadn't allowed him to speak French at home.

'Leah! You feeling up for a drink?'

Her eyes widened in surprise as she heard the familiar voice, her head turning with incredible speed towards the woman in the doorframe. Her name was Natalie, she was new, but her strong British accent charmed many. Truthfully, even Leah had fallen under her charm, for Natalie was the first of her colleagues she considered an actual friend.

'A drink sounds great,' she replied with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

She grabbed her coat and wrapped it around her as she joined Natalie, as they walked down the hallways of school Natalie started chatting. Apparently the students had been a real nuisance this day, hyper active and uncontrollable.

They entered a bar, one she'd never visited before and they sat down, ordering a beer.

'So, how are you doing?'

Leah shrugged and played with the beer in the bottle by softly rotating the beer, 'Oh, I'm alright.'

Natalie snorted, 'You still see him everywhere?'

A lump formed in her throat as she stared at the red haired woman with a pain in her heart, 'Well I kind of live in his house, remember? It's hard not to.'

Hard was an understatement, it was unbearable, heart wrenching and relentless. She lived there still, because she didn't have to pay rent and was now starting to save up to give Jacques a chance at going to college. It wouldn't be enough of course, she couldn't save up that much in such a short amount of time, but the very least she could do was give him a jumpstart.