XII

A little while back in America

Season 2: The map of moments

The Mikaelson family was as always in a great deal of danger, one would expect that with so much power, they would be the only ones safe in this world of cruelty. But the opposite was true, especially now that both their parents had been resurrected. Elijah, was now in a worse state than ever before. Memories of the so called red door flashed through his mind.

His own mother had tortured him with plays of the mind, all the regret he never felt, suddenly hit him all at once. And the very thought to know that he were the one to kill Tatia, the first woman he ever loved, haunted him day and night.

From time to time, he didn't see Tatia, instead, he saw his darling Leanne. And this pained him even more. Of course he'd never told his family of the wonderful Parisienne, more than terrified of what would happen to her if she were to fall into his world of danger. Although now, he wondered whether he should've been afraid of his family's actions more than his own.

Ever since his mother opened the floodgates of guilt that had been hidden from him before, he found that he'd thought too highly of himself over the years. He'd considered himself the noble one, the one whom would save his family from their destructive tendencies. But he was no better.

His actions the last few days had been more destructive than ever before, the monster inside him showing more of himself with every memory of the red door.

They'd been in a house, hiding from both their parents and celebrating bonfire season. For the first time in a long while, they'd been together again.

'Elijah,' Rebekah's voice interrupted one of his vivid memories, handing him a handkerchief.

'Thank you,' he answered while cleaning his hands.

'What is it you see when you go away like that?' she asked him carefully.

His heart felt heavy, 'Things I've done. Images of who I was, of those I hurt.' He paused and handed back the handkerchief. 'It's a lovely gift from mother. I can't turn it off, I suppose it's her way of demonstrating I'd be better off taking the deal.'

Perhaps that was the worst of all, deep down he did desire to be mortal, to live the life he never had. In a way, even though mother didn't know about Leah's existence, she was still using her against him. Every time he thought of her, he desired a normal human life, perhaps with children. He grabbed the logs of wood and put them in the basket, carrying them with him as he walked past his sister.

'To leave your body behind?' she asked.

Because that was his mother's plan, to transfer them to different bodies, those of witches. A way they would be mortal without being defenceless. He supposed that quite some thought went into that. But that wasn't his mother's goal.

'To start over,' Elijah corrected his sister, 'To live a mortal life.' Leah's face flashed through his mind. 'To have a child of my own if I choose.'