XXIII

As soon as she entered the Mikaelson compound, she felt a wave of relief wash over her

As soon as she entered the Mikaelson compound, she felt a wave of relief wash over her. She took off her shoes and walked towards the kitchen, putting a kettle on, after this day she needed a nice cup of tea.

She hummed softly to herself, a warm cup in her hands as she walked around. But as she walked, her eye caught a drop of red blood on the black tiled kitchen floors. Jacques. Where was Jacques?

She stilled, but saw Elijah walking towards her and for a brief second she'd doubted whether he'd even heard her get in. 'Elijah?'

He didn't look up, but continued to furiously rub a wet cloth over the sleeve of his bloodied shirt. Had he been human, he would've hurt himself, scrubbed his skin away.

'Elijah, what happened? Are you alright?' she asked, while he remained silent still. Worry for Jacques creeped in her mind, the possibilities of an attack scaring her, so she reached for Elijah's arm and yanked the cloth from him.

Within a second she was pinned against the wall by her arms, the veins underneath his eyes had popped and his fangs were bared. Her heart clenched as she watched him. She'd never been afraid of his vampiric features and though she still wasn't, she'd never thought that he'd use them against her.

He was so close she could feel his breath in her neck, so close that she could see the realisation dawn upon him. His fangs retracted and the grip on her wrists softened quickly. 'I am so sorry Leanne, you don't have to be afraid, I could never hurt you.'

'I'm not afraid,' she whispered.

He shook his head, 'Please don't lie to me, I can hear you heartbeat racing.'

Her face flushed as she looked at him, 'Elijah, I'm not afraid of you. Please tell me what's going on.'

'It's alright, we had a couple of intruders, Rebekah and I took care of it. She's locating Freya so we can find out who's behind this.'

'I didn't mean that, Elijah, though I'm glad you told me,' she paused as she raised the cloth, 'what's going on with you? I've never seen you like this.'

He hesitated as he looked at her, wondering how on earth he could tell her about the things that had happened. How could he tell her about his mother, whom had tortured him with the guilt that had been locked away for so long.

What would she think of him, once he told her that he'd killed his first lover Tatia? He'd lived for so long without ever feeling guilty for the lives he'd taken, as long as his hands were clean than so was his soul. The biggest lie he'd ever been told.

'It's a long story and- and I'm not sure whether I should...'

A soft smile appeared on her lips and he couldn't help but feel elated, because as much as he'd longed to have her back, he wasn't prepared for the pain that would bring. To hear her cry or scream in the night when memories haunted her, tore his heart from his chest.