Winter's War

"The eyes speak more than the mouth."

Apollo -

"Apollo, make sure you brush your hair! We don't need to see that nest of yours this morning!" Apollo's parents yelled across the house as he got ready for the day.

The brown paste went onto his eyes easily. They shifted until they became dark brown. It was simple to continue the same lie for years. They looked back at him, as if someone else was looking back. His parents wanted him to have dark eyes like them, but he was blessed with light eyes.

His parents didn't know, not that they would want to know. Apollo sat down at the kitchen table and looked down at the watery porridge that sat before him. Forcing down a gulp, he ate quietly, trying not to gag at the taste. Apollo finished his breakfast and grabbed a long-sleeved shirt, putting it on as he ran out the door.

"Good morning, are you ready to deliver the papers?" The man at the tent in town smiled and handed Apollo a satchel full of papers.

Apollo nodded and scurried off to quickly deliver the papers before the sun began to rise. As the sun began to creep over the horizon, he sprinted back to the tent to grab his pay for the day. He was on his was home as the royal signal was called. Muttering under his breath, Apollo made his way to the square where a crowd was beginning to form.

"Dear peasants of Récee, the king requests that taxes must be paid in full this year on tax day, today." The informant droned on as Apollo snuck out of the square, knowing they wouldn't notice him like all the times before.

All the shopkeepers were at the meeting, so Apollo made his move. He would take small things here and there, insignificant to the shop owners but pure gold to him. After filling his satchel full of food and grabbing a small pendent from the local Wickend, he made his way home. Watching from the distance, Apollo looked down on the town as he disappeared to the outskirts.

Slipping on the pendant as he walked inside, Apollo was greated by his family. They knew that today was pay day, but never the true cost of a day like today. Apollo laid out the food on the table and the family cheered as they feasted after not having a proper meal for the last month.

Apollo went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. With wide eyes, he quickly applied more cream as his eyes became the dark brown his family knew and loved. Looking down at the pendant, he grimaced knowing that he could never afford something like this. After scanning his surroundings, he conjured some magic that turned the pendant into a Fennec.

The animal plopped down next to him and cuddled up to Apollo's leg. It scurried out a hole in the wall to the outside before magic closed it behind the animal. Apollo was surprised at the amount of magic the pendant had, but he knew the animal would keep them protected. With the change in magik that he felt, Apollo knew it would be necessary.

Not to his surprise, the police were sitting at the kitchen counter when he exited the bathroom. They always showed up unannounced to scouer homes of any illegal activity. It was illegal in of itself, but the king had an in with the police and wanted all traitors killed. They looked up at Apollo with disgust as they raised their brows at his tattered clothing.

"There was a magical pendant stolen today from town. We would like to search your house for it." Apollo's family could not deny them, so they searched to no avail.

With a swift thank you, the officers left. They didn't actually leave, Apollo heard them whispering through the door. Inching towards them, he placed his ear towards the door. The officers were talking about his family and something he couldn't quite make out.

"The Wickend Counsil is visiting, they said they were to come and discuss something with the king." The one officer paced, their footsteps echoing on the shaded porch.

"Why are they coming? They never come here, we cannot farm, our town is entirely based on commerce. The Wickend is dying and no one currently has enough magik to take their place."

Apollo thought back to the Fennec. He had to put minimal magik into the little thing. His thoughts wandered to how strong the Wickend was truly. Having enough of the officers on his property, Apollo opened the door.

"Oh my apologies, I did not realize you were still here. I will be making my way to town, please feel free to show yourselves out." Apollo gave them a fake smile and rolled his eyes as he began to make his way to town.

The Fennec followed closely behind him, watching Apollo struggle to make it to town in the scorching heat. It tugged on his pants and ran over to a tree in the distance, providing a small amount of shade. With heavy steps, Apollo made it over and slumped against the tree. The Fennec hopped in his lap and licked his face before hopping off.

"It's been awhile since I've taken a human form, what do you think?" The Fennec took human form and Apollo was stunned at the gigantic man that stood before him.

"Hello there, what shall I call you?" Apollo got up and handed the man a small piece of bread from his bag.

"My name is Julius, now we should head to town and meet with that Wickend, eh?" He grinned down on Apollo and let him walk in his shadow to town.

Apollo stayed silent once they reached town. People began to whisper about the stranger in town, forgetting about Apollo quickly. Julius ignored them and continued to walk to the Wickend's stand. He stood at the counter, arms crossed over his chest as he waited for the Wickend to come out.

"Ah, it's been a long time since I've seen you. Who awoke you this time?" Julius gripped Apollo from behind him and spun him until he stood in front of the Wickend.

The Wickend stood astonished, looking at the small boy that stood before them. "This is the one that awoke you? His magik presence is only of normal level."

Julius shrugged and the Wickend sighed before heading into the back to grab some supplies. They reappeared with well-tailored clothing and some bags overflowing with food. With a smile, Julius went inside to change, leaving Apollo with the Wickend. They stared up at Apollo who gave an unamused look to them.

Julius came out in a well fitted linen shirt and pants, smiling at Apollo. With a wave goodbye, Julius tugged Apollo along with him shopping and then to the main square. A natural spring stood in the center and Julius reached in to take a drink. Apollo was speechless, no one was allowed to drink from the fountain.

"That was refreshing, now, why don't we meet up with everyone?" Apollo stayed silent, knowing his question would be answered soon enough.

"There they are! Hello everyone!" Julius grinned, running up to the people that appeared before them.

Apollo stood there, confused as to how Julius knew The Wickend Counsil. Although, he was a pendant for an unknown amount of time so he didn't question. Julius was talking frantically to someone that looked like the one in charge, pointing at Apollo. Gulping, Apollo made his way towards the group as he was beckoned over.

"Hello Apollo, my name is Axel, I am the leader of The Wickend Counsil. It is a pleasure to meet you." Axel kissed Apollo's hand, who immediately jerked away and glared at him.

Looking at the reflection of the sunset in the water, Apollo felt his heart constrict. He wouldn't have enough time to make it home before the cream wore off. The others saw his frustration and Axel reached out, clasping Apollo's arm. He thrashed against him until Axel caged him against his chest.

"Open your eyes little one." Apollo felt his control fading and he leaned against Axel.

He could feel Julius' worry radiating off him in waves and it continued to get stronger until it was nearly suffocating. Apollo let out a soft whimper in pain as he allowed all the magik in the air to surround him. His vision went black as he collapsed to the ground. Axel reached down and picked him up, noticing the marking on his arms with a smile.

Julius and Axel grinned as they looked down on the awakened boy.