Truth in Nightmares

"Quote yet to be written"

Mikai -

It was difficult to tell who was awake and who was not. Those that went into the right state were able to come to the waking world and not realize it. Mikai had the night shift, when most were asleep, and often the most dangerous one. Many people who were asleep didn't know that their conscious left them and did stuff they wouldn't normally do.

"Crescent St, we have a man with a knife chasing a woman. We need everyone within a block radius." Mikai turned his motorbike and pulled up to Crescent St.

He got off his bike, seeing one of his fellow officers follow suit. The two walked down the alley, listening for any screaming or steps. It was silent, another officer came rushing in behind them and went into the restaurant on the corner. They continued to walk down the dark alley.

"Why did you cheat on me with my sister? She's married! What is wrong with you!" A man yelled, sobs choking up his voice.

The woman scoffed, walking away from the man. He was outraged and went to go after her. His eyes were crazed and his mouth began to foam. The two police officers looked at each other, knowing he was asleep now.

"Stop right there! Drop the weapon." The two put up their guns, pointing at the man.

His mouth continued to foam as his brain began to stop working. He looked at the two police officers with the same expression before bringing the knife to his side. His conscious was fading, once the asleep began to foam at the mouth, their mind was dying along with the body. The man walked out in front of the woman before going to stab her from behind him.

Mikai shot the knife-weilding hand and the weapon clattered to the ground. The man looked down at his hand with a bored expression. The two police officers looked at each other before running over to the woman. The man stood still as his body was overwhelmed by the pain, yet he felt nothing.

"We need to get her out of here!" Mikai yelled at his partner, who then grabbed the woman and helped her out of the alleyway.

"Sir, we're going to help you pass, okay? I know you're in pain, but let me help you." Mikai kicked the knife out of the way as he neared the man.

His nose began to bleed and Mikai realized it was too late. He began to sprint out of the alleyway as the man let out a loud cry. It became silence and Mikai made his way back to the scene. The man laid on the ground covered in blood, along with his brain exploded all over the ground.

Mikai sighed and took a few more notes and pictures before radioing the station. He walked out of the alley with a straight face, seeing too many dead bodies like that to affect him anymore. His body was rammed into by a clothed figure. As he was about to tell him that it was a crime scene, the person disappeared.

"I took notes and a few pictures. With bodies disappearing lately I thought it would be a good idea." His partner nodded and the two drove off in the police car with the woman to the station.

They got out with the woman and helped her to one of the questioning rooms. Mikai sat down as he started to write up his portion of the report and his partner questioned the woman along with another officer.

After a few moments Mikai made his way to the questioning room to see the two chatting over tea and cookies. They looked up at him with smiles and his partner motioned for Mikai to take a seat. The trio ate for a little while longer until another a few more officers came to view the questioning.

"Ms. Allison, what would give your boyfriend the motive to harm you?" The woman fiddled with her thumbs as Mikai's partner asked.

"Well, he's been acting quite weird lately. Will started coming home later, the first few days were an hour so I blamed it on traffic. These past two weeks he would come back home between three to five hours late, give me no response and go to bed."

Mikai and his partner took notes while the woman continued to talk, "tonight I decided to go with a few of my friends for drinks. I'm usually not out this late, but we finished up around one this morning. He was waiting for me outside the bar. I told him I was going out to drink but not where. I don't know how he found me, but when he was there, he didn't look like my boyfriend."

The woman sniffled for a moment, "he held a knife to my throat and told me to walk with him, so I did. We were talking for awhile until he stopped. He looked at me, then at the knife, and that's when you found us."

They finished up the rest of the questioning and Mikai made his way back to his desk to work on the report he started. He was stopped in the middle of his last word by the chief. His partner stood behind him with a frown.

"The body was taken." The chief sighed and pulled out pictures of the crime scene after investigators had arrived.

"Someone was there after me. Their face was hidden by a hood but they were tall and well-built, they disappeared as soon as I turned around to talk to them." The chief rubbed their chin and nodded, walking off.

"So someone's stealing the bodies of the victims, but why? What can they do with bodies with exploded heads?" Mikai sighed and rubbed his forehead as he talked with his partner.

The two continued talking until the end of the hour in which they departed home. Mikai was greated by his dog and foster cat. He gave them some attention before making his way to the fridge to get some food. Once he had his dinner, he sat down and began to ate.

"Why hello there babe," a voice echoed in the room and Mikai looked around, "the name's Raphael, and I need your help." The voice faded as footsteps came towards Mikai without a body.

A body materialised in front of Mikai, it was going in and out of focus. The man looked almost like the person he saw last night, but not quite. He sat down on the coffee table and looked at Mikai.

"I need your body. The body I had died last night whilst I was trying to enter that man's. If you don't comply with me, well, I'll make you go insane with my thoughts. Do we have a deal?" The ghost extended his hand and Mikai looked at it with disgust before taking it.

His body became heavy as he fell into the couch. It felt like his soul was breaking into two. Mikai gripped onto the couch until it subsided. His pets came onto the couch but scampered away when he stood up.

Feels good to have a body again. Oh and yes, I am the person that has been stealing those bodies.