Omnipotent

"Having powers is not a blessing, it's a curse."

Avery -

The book sat on the desk. Its leather binding was tattered and its pages yellowing and ripped. It appeared on Avery's desk over the night, he woke up and it was just, there. He looked down on it, watching it flutter as if it wanted to be opened.

Avery picked up the book, letting out a hiss at it cuts his finger. It clattered to the floor, a few drops of blood splattering on the front cover. His blood smeared on the cover as he tried to wipe it away. He sighed and went to the bathroom to grab a rag to clean the book.

Once he returned, the book laid open on the floor. Avery crouched down and picked it up. It was in an unknown language to him with a difficult font to read. His hands flipped through the pages like they knew what page to go to.

His hands stopped on a page towards the back of the book. Words were scattered across the page, making the book look more like a diary than a piece of literature. Avery leaned down and tried to read the page to no avail. A simple section read Summoning a Servant and Avery shrugged before sitting down to try to read it.

The page began to levitate in midair until a hologram of it laid before Avery. His gaze shot to a small marking in red pen, but he was unable to read it. He took a breath and felt an unknown feeling wash over him, as if someone was tugging on his life force without his permission. Avery's eyes flickered open but he couldn't see his room, he had travelled somewhere else.

The floor was covered in black liquid and the walls painted a stark white. He looked to the ceiling to see a bright light, blinding him for a moment. His shoulder was tapped and he spun around to face an elderly man in a dark cloak. They gave a grin before letting down their hood.

"Hello there, how may I be of assistance?" Their face morphed into a younger woman while Avery stood speechless.

"Where are we exactly?" The person giggled before turning their back to Avery.

"We are nowhere and everywhere. Time doesn't affect us here, you cannot die. We are suspended in time." They turned back and then they were Avery.

"I don't want anything. This book plopped down on my desk this morning. I didn't mean to open it, it did it on its own." The person stopped with curiousty and motioned for Avery to follow them.

"You said it just appeared there, well, I don't see why I can't give you something in return, but you don't want anything." The person muttered to themself and walked around a table that appeared in the room.

"I do know someone who does need a teaching to. I will bring them to you." The person gave Avery a cheshire grin before his world went blank.

Avery didn't wake up until the next day. It was morning and he groaned as a throbbing began in his head like he was tossed to the floor. He yawned and went to the bathroom. Flicking on the light, he let out a yell as a black design wrapped itself around his torso.

After getting ready, Avery walked back to his room and plopped down on his bed. He placed his face in his hands, not knowing why the book picked him or why all this had happened even though he wanted none of it. His closet door began to rattle and he looked up.

A man stumbled out of the closet with a grumble. He kicked the door shut behind him and cracked his back before looking around. His footsteps echoed on the hardwood floor until he stopped in front of Avery. The man bent down until he was looking him in the eyes.

"The name's Satan, who are you?" He sat down on the floor and waited for him to respond.

"Avery," he paused, looking at the man, "what do you want?"

The man raised a brow before going to Avery's chair and snatching one of his shirts. He threw his old shirt to the ground and Avery grimaced at the blood and burn marks it has. Satan turned and yawned, picking up the book and looking it over. His hands were covered in scars as he tried to open the book.

"So this is what you used to summon me? How peculiar, I really should be down in hell though." Satan placed the book on Avery's lap and it flipped open.

Avery closed the book at an instant, looking up at Satan sheepishly. He played with his fingers and looked up at him. His legs was whacked by a tail and Satan had transformed to his demon form. His legs were more muscular and his head was adorned with large horns.

"Can you not look like that when we go out? I have roommates and I don't think they would appreciate a demon prancing around." Satan chuckled before shifting back and throwing Avery over his shoulder.

The door opened for the two and Satan plopped Avery down on the couch before disappearing into the kitchen. His roommates gave Avery a weird look before heading off to school. He made his way to the kitchen and sat down at the counter. Avery watched the demon cook flawlessly, glad that there was someone able to cook now.

His doorbell began to go off, so Avery walked to answer the door. Satan continued to cook, ignoring the door. His mother and father stood there with large smiles and a basket of food. Without him welcoming them in, his parents walked inside on their own.

"We wanted to drop off some food and have the holidays here since your work never lets you take off. Now, who is this?" His father pointed to Satan who turned around with handfulls of food.

His mother shushed him and told him to help Satan set up the breakfast at the table. She placed the food basket down and his father helped to set the table. His cheeks flushed red as Satan sat across from him and next to his mother. The four ate in silence for a moment before Satan spoke.

"I'm his boyfriend, we started dating not too long ago." Satan winked at Avery who stopped eating.

His parents turned to look at him and he wasn't able to respond. A foot began to rub his inner thigh under the table. Avery began to stuff his mouth to make sure he wouldn't make a sound. He glared at Satan who ate without a care in the world.

"Do you know anything about this book?" Satan pulled out the book and placed it on the table.

His parents stopped eating and looked at Avery with a confused expression. The two talked under their breaths for a moment before signing. A hand touched Avery's thigh and he jumped, Satan sitting with a grin. One of his arms was resting by his side and Avery thought he shifted it using his magik.

Avery conjured up a spark and sparked his hand. Satan glared and removed his hand from his thigh, just to place it on his hip. He stiffened and stayed quiet, biting his lip. His parents looked at him with worried expressions before speaking.

"We're one of the last lines of the pureblood Hale lineage." Satan raised a brow at that line and looked at Avery.

"So what? I just conjured up this demon in my room a few minutes ago. What am I supposed to do with Satan in my house?" Avery exclaimed, his voice going higher at the end as Satan clasped onto his hip tightly.

"What ranking are you?" His father mumbled, looking at the demon with worry.

"They named me Satan for a reason. Your son conjured the ruler of hell in his bedroom."