Mornings

I woke up to a strange smell and the other side of the bed empty and cold. I looked at the clock. 8.30 AM. Usually my girlfriend would lay next to me sound asleep. I heard curse words coming from downstairs and the fire alarm started beeping. I jumped out of bed and made my way to the kitchen where the smoke was coming from. "Fucking hell", Hailee spoke and coughed. She was wearing an oversized shirt and socks, her hair in a messy bun. I saw pans on the oven and toast on some plates. Luckily there was no fire so I opened the window and the smoke went out. "By that smoke it could be hell", I told her. She ran towards the stove. "Fuck no", she whined. I chuckled. That definitely wasn't the first time Hailee burned something. I looked over her shoulders. "Well, looks a little overcooked, babe", I said. She looked at me like "no shit Sherlock". She huffed dramatically and furrowed her brows. "I swear I was doing everything how you told me", she mumbled and looked at the pans trying to figure out what went wrong this time. Her mouth went to a pout. "It's ok, Haiz. Maybe next time", I told her and gave her a hug from behind. "Yeah", she whispered. "Believe me you will get it", I reassured her. She turned around in my embrace. Her chocolate eyes looking down at me. "But I wanted to surprise you with breakfast in bed", she whined. "You definitely surprised me", I said giggling. She cracked a smile. "How about we get dressed and have breakfast in that Café two blocks from here", I suggested. "Fine", she answered. I walked towards the stairs but got turned around. Familiar soft lips met mine. "For what was that", I asked my girlfriend. "Good Morning, beautiful", she grinned. I rolled my eyes. She is such a cheeseball. "Well, I don't know if it was good but for sure eventful", I told her and her grin faded into her cute frown. I kissed her cheek. "But thank you for trying, Hailee. I appreciate it", I said. Her cheeks got a little red. "Next time", she started. I raised my brows, "Next time? There will be no next time until we perfect your cooking skills. I don't want our apartment to be on fire", I interrupted her. She poked out her tongue. "Meanie", she grumbled. I shrugged my shoulders grinning. I went on my tiptoes and gave her a peck on her nose. "I love you, Steinfeld", I mumbled. She smiled. "I love you, too Y/L/N", she answered. Suddenly she let go of me and screamed, "Race you. Loser has to pay!" I rolled my eyes. I'm in love with a fucking kid. How is she older than me? "Come on slow poke", Hailee yelled. I smiled going up the stairs hoping that one day I call her more than just my girlfriend.