4 - Save It For The Morning After

When he woke up the next day, Gerard became quickly aware of two things. The first was that he felt awful, his whole body aching from his churning stomach to his swimming head. The second was the reason he was awake, which was the sound of raised voices coming from the front of the bus.

"Just let me fucking see him" was that Bert? It sounded like him.

"No. He's asleep" that was definitely Frank. "Besides, if you wanted to see him maybe you should've actually looked after him last night."

"Well it's a bit hard to do that when you carried him away without even telling anyone you were taking him back here. How was I supposed to know you were leaving?"

"He was ill and you were busy dancing. I thought you'd be happy we took the responsibility and left you to party." Frank sounded really angry. Mind you, so did Bert. This was not good at all. The last thing Gerard had wanted was for them to fall out when they already disliked each other, and now he was way too hungover to go and intervene.

"Okay I think we could all do with calming down a bit here" Ray's voice this time, and thank fuck for that. Gerard knew if anyone could calm down this situation it would be him.

"Well maybe if I was allowed to see my fucking boyfriend-"

"Bert" he heard Ray sigh "as soon as Gerard wakes up I'm sure he'll want to come see you, and nobody is going to stop him okay? But until then me and Frank will keep an eye on him."

"Well I've got a whole bunch of interviews in a minute and then soundcheck so if I don't see him now I won't be able to for hours."

"To be honest he'll probably be riding out his comedown for most of that time anyway. And it's not like you can't call him, yeah?" Bob chimes in "but right now I think it's best you go back to your bus and leave us."

"Fine, but you better tell him I stopped by."

"Eventually" Frank muttered, but by that point Gerard heard the bus door slam shut, his boyfriend gone. He felt a bit relieved - he wasn't up for dealing with him right now. Not when his whole body felt like lead and his brain so depleted of happiness. Comedowns were the fucking worst. 

"Frank, you need to calm down with him" Ray sighed "there's no talking sense into him after all."

"You didn't see it Ray - he was so off his face he didn't even notice that Gerard was gone last night. Either than or he didn't care, and I don't know what's worse."

"I can imagine. But look, Gerard's going to be in a rough way today and the last thing he needs is for you and Bert to be at each other's throats."

"I guess" Frank sighed "did Mikey go to get those painkillers?"

"Yeah he should be back soon" Bob spoke up. 

"Okay, well I'm going to make a coffee. Anyone want one?" the thought of caffeine was enough to convince Gerard he should probably get up out of his bunk, and with great effort he heaved himself up into a sitting position. He blushed as he recalled a blurry memory of Frank helping him get out of his clothes the night before, and quickly pushed it away. Instead he reached down to the end of his bed and pulled on his skeleton onesie, hands shaking as he did so, and pushed his hair out of his face. 

He all but rolled out of the bunk and stumbled into the living area, where Ray and Bob were sat on the sofa and Frank was stood nearest to him, making the coffee. 

"Hey" was all he could think to say. He knew he needed to apologise, and thank them, but his energy levels were at an all time low "you er, making coffee?"