8 - Cigarettes & Alcohol

The next day was the first time Gerard woke up without a hangover in a long time. Instead he fuelled up on coffee and had a really good soundcheck with the guys, who all made sure he got in and out of the venue without bumping into any members of The Used. Then in the afternoon they had a few magazine interviews to do, so that kept him busy for a couple of hours.

When the last interviewer left Mikey had suggested they play video games, and so it was only around dinner time that the nerves for the show that night began to kick in.

He knew the chances of seeing Bert would be high, and that was combining with the pre-show nerves he normally got anyway. So he decided he'd have a couple of beers to try and silence them. Nobody said anything, even when the rest of the guys were still on their first can and he was on his third. He had a feeling they were trying to be careful round him, not wanting him to get upset again but also wanting to keep an eye on him.

About an hour before the show Brian climbed onto the bus, a pack of beers in hand and grinning.

"Hey guys!" He dumped the beers on the table and Gerard immediately took one, his nerves a little less but still not silenced enough for his liking "how are you all doing?"

"Good" Ray took a beer too "cheers Brian."

"Great! I just wanted to wish you guys a good show. The Used are killing it out there tonight - thought you'd be watching them" he turned his attention to Gerard, who tried to look anywhere but into Brian's eyes as he knew his hurt expression would only prompt further questions.

"I'm sure we'll see them some other time" Mikey answered before he had to "how are you anyway?" And just like that the conversation was diverted as Brian started talking about his own life updates. Gerard shot his brother a thankful look and downed the rest of his beer, eagerly taking another one without anyone noticing.

Brian was a good guy, and a great manager, but he didn't want to open up to him about such personal problems.

"Well anyway" he zoned back into the conversation as Brian continued to talk "there's a party after the show tonight at a record company executive's house not far from here, the label would really like everyone to be there, not that you lot need convincing!"

"Who else is going?" Frank asked.

"All the bands, all the crew, record label guests, all sorts really. It should be a fun one" Frank's eyes met Gerard's with a nervous expression, obviously thinking the same thing he was. The Used would definitely be there.

"We'll be there" Gerard nodded, knowing the rest of his band were waiting on his reply.

"Great, I'll catch you guys later then. Have a great show!"

The minute Brian left Frank turned to him again.

"We don't have to go, you know. Or we can go and tell everyone you're ill. We could say you were on vocal rest or something, nobody would argue with that."

"It's fine" Gerard waved it off "honestly. I've got to face him at some point, and it would be good for us to be there, you know what the label are like. These things are normally fun anyway - maybe they'll be some cool bands on the guest-list."

"Well if you change your mind just say" Ray smiled.

*

The first half of their show was going great. Gerard was a good level of drunk where he was still in control of his movements, but also feeling good enough that he was moving around with his usual energy, yelling and moaning and occasionally coming out with some profound message that would no doubt be written on fans homemade t-shirts before long.