19 - The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You

Gerard was sat in the airport and feeling rough as hell. He was wearing his sunglasses to try and shut out the brightness and business of the terminal as best he could, and sat clutching his second coffee he'd bought since they'd been waiting for their gate to start boarding. His head still throbbed, but it was bearable, and the body shakes weren't so bad. 

"We should get sushi" Frank's voice brought him back to reality. He was sat across from him, making his way through a bag of sweets "once we get to Tokyo. We could try and find that amazing place we found when we were there last that had the veggie options. If you're up for it, of course." 

"I can manage sushi Frankie" Gerard smiled "i'm not completely broken."

"I know" Frank offered him a sweet, but he shook his head, not feeling like eating anything at that moment in time "but if you just wanna hole up in the hotel room I'm happy to do that too." 

"I don't want to waste our time in Japan" he frowned "not if I can help it. We all love it there so much, I'd hate to ruin everyone's trip..." 

"Gee, do you even realise how amazing it is that you're still doing this?" Frank sighed "the fact you're here, that you're still going to perform despite all the stuff that's going on for you right now, is more than enough."

"Thanks Frankie." 

"Hey, when this is over and you've had time to get yourself sorted out, we can always come back. Enjoy it properly, you know?" 

Gerard smiled at that and finished his coffee, imaging arriving in Japan, fresh faced, Frank by his side, perhaps a new album written too, ready to truly immerse himself.

"Guys! We're boarding!" they heard Brian yell over, and they quickly grabbed their bags. Gerard hadn't really packed much - stage clothes, some makeup and a few spare t-shirts. He hadn't really been able to think straight when they'd left the bus earlier, but he figured that was all he really needed, especially if he was going to be spending most of his time being watched over by his bandmates and manager to make sure he didn't fuck up again. 

Once they got on the plane Gerard found himself sat between Mikey and Frank. He hated the plane journeys, but had gotten used to being able to sleep on them, so as soon as they dimmed the lights he leaned his head on Frank's shoulder and shuffled his body into the most comfortable position plausible when you're stuck in the middle seat. Frank shifted a little so that he could rest his head better on his jacket-clad shoulder, and within minutes he nodded off. 

He woke up at one point when some turbulence caused the plane to bounce and sway. He became aware of the stiffness in his neck, and moved his head slightly to get a better angle, but didn't bother to open his eyes. He was nearly asleep again when he heard Mikey speak from the other side of him. 

"I don't want him to feel suffocated, like we're watching his every move, but I also can't help but watch him either..." 

Gerard kept his eyes tightly shut and let his chest fall heavily, curious to hear their conversation. 

"I know" Frank sighed from above him "but it's better now Mikes. He wants our help, he's asked for it. It's not like before when he'd get angry when we tried to stop him. I think he really means it when he says he's gunna get clean." 

"I know, I guess it's just last night. Him going missing, thinking something had happened to him, I just... I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to him." 

"Me neither" Frank said quietly. 

"You two finally getting together has really helped him, you know?"