Part 1 - The Wedding

"What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined for life–to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in silent, unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting?" ― George Eliot.

New York, 18 Years Later

The air crackled with tension as Keith stared at his reflection. Each passing moment since their disastrous first date magnified Juliet's resentment towards him. He desperately wished for a change in her attitude, but unfortunately for Juliet, their fate was sealed by a contract. Keith was not one to be denied. Not even the president could stop him when he set his mind on something. He possessed the power and resources to bend the world to his will. "No" simply didn't exist in his vocabulary, especially for others.

"Somehow, Noah managed to get stuck in Australia," Neal Hartman said, sinking into the plush couch in Keith's living room. Dressed in a black tuxedo, his blue eyes held disappointment as he combed a hand through his neatly styled blond hair.

Keith and Neal, along with their best friend Noah Myers, have been an inseparable trio since elementary school. Now, at twenty-six, Keith and Neal run their family businesses. At the same time, their twenty-five-year-old friend Noah spends his days globetrotting and charming every model on a Vogue cover. Despite their vastly different lifestyles, their bond remained strong.

"That man!" Keith said with a humorless smile and a shake of his head. "Leaving on my wedding day? Unbelievable."

"Ah, right!" Neal exclaimed, jumping to his feet and brushing invisible lint off his suit. Wedding decorator Lucas Sullivan and his crew will stay for the entire ceremony to make sure everything runs smoothly."

Keith rolled his eyes. "Free food attracts everyone," he muttered. He had more pressing concerns than cheap catering on his wedding day. "Whatever. Let them stay." He could easily have his security escort them out, but the last thing he needed was a scene at the church. Everything had to be perfect for his darling Juliet.

Kayden, Keith's twenty-one-year-old brother, barged into the living room, shoving his phone into his black dress pants. "Mom called. The bride and bridesmaids just left the hotel."

"Let's go then!" Keith straightened his tie, then handed his brother a small velvet box containing the wedding bands. "Guard this with your life," he said sternly, his steel-gray eyes conveying the consequences of failure.

"You got it, bro!" Kayden chuckled, playfully slapping Keith on the shoulder before the three men exited the mansion and climbed into the waiting black limousine.

The ride to the church felt like an eternity, at least for Keith. Despite never admitting it, the short time apart from Juliet made him uneasy. He yearned to hold his woman, to shower her with the overflowing Love that constricted his chest.

Inside the church, Keith stood tall, his gaze locked on the wooden doors as the bridal march began. The moment Juliet – his wife – stepped into view, a surge of satisfaction washed over him. He had made the right decision with the contract. He did not regret the unconventional means that brought her to his side. All that mattered was that she was here, his stunning green-eyed beauty, resplendent in a white gown.

The world blurred around Keith, his steel-gray eyes fixated on this gorgeous woman. So when Juliet abruptly halted mid-aisle, his heart plummeted. His eyes narrowed into slits, glaring at his bride. She would not dare run away now. Today, Juliet became his wife, and nothing would change that. He silently vowed to make sure of it. He watched as her father whispered in her ear, but she seemed oblivious.