8. Tracing Back Our Steps- 4

"So are all the instructions clear?"

"Yes your majesty" the housekeeper replied bowing respectfully before taking his leave.

"So that's done Sonakshi. Now you are only mine." Arjun said pulling her around to face him "I have been mostly so good all this while."

"Haha. So you agree that you weren't all good all this while" she giggled "Good thing you didn't distract me too much."

"Oh come on even if I don't make any attempts you always get distracted by me."

"Aarya that's called attaching too much of importance to yourself."

"Oh is it Sonakshi? Then I have to go out in search of the pretty maiden who was so mersmerised by my singing and also apparently by my looks in the forests of Pirajshya."

"Haw... Aarya you dare not" she said slapping his hand slightly.

The outer ring of the forests of Pirajshya were generally safe, mostly frequented by Kings and courtiers out hunting and doted by little ashrams of sages. Traders and travellers could rest in these ashrams before they proceeded to the city.

It was a bright beautiful day. In a corner of one of the ashrams, a middle aged but beautiful lady sat on the verandah of the hut. Four handsome Brahman youths surrounded her engrossed in some work. They were all well built and strong and had a dignified bearing though not the usual serenity and calmness of saints .

Suddenly a horse whizzed past the ashram carrying a female form on it as all the hermits looked up in reverence.

"Who was that?" the lady asked one of the rishis.

"She is Princess Sonakshi of Pirajshya Devi."

Her lips quivered at those words and a startled expression found way to her face.

"You mean she is the late Maharani Qudumbani only daughter?"

"Yes Devi she is the only Princess of this kingdom."

"But why was out here?"

"She often rides in these forests and sometimes stops by the ashram and looks after our well being. Her father Maharaj Kripanand is quite open minded and lets her have her wish."

"Oh I see..."

The rishi bowed as he took his leave. She barely acknowledged him. Lost in her own thoughts no one else was aware of, she noticed not her surroundings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The royal horse with its royal princess sped through the trees forming canopies overhead. Rajkumari Sonakshi's eyes darted from one side to another certainly enjoying the adrenaline rush.

High on adventure and thrill at its peak Rajkumari Sonakshi abruptly drew the reins. In a little distance away a young man clad in the robes of a Brahman was bent collecting dry branches and leaves. His attire reflected poverty but he was muscular and strong and well- built. He had a certain aura around himself that one could easily mistake for that of a warrior.

"If only I could see his face" she thought.

And it didn't take long for her wish to materialise.