17. Tracing Back Our Steps- 12

"Rajkumari I told you before and I am telling you again " he began in a strained voice " I am sad for what happened to your family but it was a fair fight, following ksatriya dharma-"

He could continue no more as her steadfast gaze pierced into his soul. He felt defeated although he knew he shouldn't.

She pitied him. She pitied her father, her brother. She pitied all those warriors who fought on guided by 'dharma' quoting dry scriptures without understanding the essence of it or paying heed to their inner voices and desires.

"I am sorry Rajkumari"

She smiled sadly at his downcast form. He was so handsome with a strong, well built body. There was no way he could be the son of a charioteer, not that she cared. He had an aura around him, almost godly in grace and appearance, yet there was a strange exhaustion permeating through his glorious form.

"When you do things your heart calls out against you have to be prepared to face the ,often bitter consequences" she said taking a long breathe "When ksatriyas battle they leave behind widows, fatherless sons and daughters who curse the victors."

She paused. He had an unreadable expression on his face. She decided to continue. No point digressing from it.

"And Angraj Karna when respectable ksatriyas abduct ksatriya princesses they have to put up with them for the rest of their lives under the holy rites of marriage."

She sighed heavily. Karna's eyes shone fiercely and she couldn't bring herself to meet them.

"Rajkumari Sonakshi when one does things the heart calls out against, theyhave to face the bitter consequences, right?"

She nodded. She was slightly frightened by his undecipherable behaviour.

"But who said that bringing you here, or in your words, abducting you, was against my heart's calling?"

The statement framed in the form of a question hung in the room as surprise invaded her mind. He nodded gently.

"I...I..."

A soft smile played on his lips as she fumbled for words.

"But Rajkumari I did not want to force you into anything. And am still not."

"You may not but the society won't accept it. My parents certainly won't. I certainly can't live as a petty royal under your patronage all my life."

"Rajkumari I now think I should have told you this earlier. You are here under Maharani Gandhari's protection. When I went to Hastinapur I asked for her permission to keep you in my palace. No one can lift a finger against you."

He was electrified at the sudden manner she rushed towards him with arms flaying out, pure joy written on her face, and would have fallen on him(not that he would have minded much)had the  space between the bed and his chair not turned into a reminder of propriety.